Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Grow Rack Advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will echo Rocketcaver there.. WAY TOO MANY are obssessed with humidity and making it foggy around their plants. I have a variety of Nepenthes growing on my West windowsill at the house in the open air and they grow and pitcher all year long. I never mist them, I don't have any humidifiers and they are subjected to whatever the ambient humidity is that day. Which can vary quite a bit from muggy during the Summer to bone dry during the Winter.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, could there be such thing as too much humidity for the plants involved?
    Just curious.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some slightly out dated photos. Just a month old or so.
    DSCN0611
    DSCN0610

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That media looks a little dry to me. What's your watering routine? And what is the media mix?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theoretically speaking there is a possibility. Transpiration rate is related to humidity levels. The higher the humidity the less transpiration of moisture out of the leaves and the less uptake of water through the roots to compensate. Which I guess would also affect uptake of nutrients and minerals and translocation of said minerals and nutrients etc through the plant as moisture flow slows. How high would it have to be though for this to really be a problem though? That I couldn't say.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my watering is good. I wait until the top of the moss gets pretty dry, then give them a soaking in a bowl to thoroughly wet everything and let em dry again (maybe once a week or so they get dry).
    And the media is a LFS/perlite mix, i did report all my stuff recently bnecause it didnt have much perlite before and stayed overly soggy. Again, the window plants get the same watering and media and are doing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once a week? Um... I water mine a little every other day. I guess a lot depends on what media mix you are using.
    Dig down into the media with your finger and see how moist or dry it is about half way down the pot. Is it moist? Dry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, good points all. In our old house I kept my grow room humidity around 75%. The plants did fine, but I was starting to get mold on the walls. Here in the new house with the lower humidity these plants are doing just as well, and no mold issues. I guess in Vbk's case it probably isn't the issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast