Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some Grow Rack Advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants are showing classic dehydration symptoms, the curling and drooping of the leaf along the midvein, and in particular the rolling of each leaf edge under.

Nepenthes should stay moist but not sopping wet. They should also never get dry. Dry Nepenthes roots even for a short time = dead Nepenthes roots. I am guessing the roots have been compromised by perhaps being too wet initially and then too dry. The problem is that once the roots are damaged there is no longer enough healthy root mass to absorb enough moisture to keep the current amount of leaves healthy. The leaves then continue to show moisture stress and the plant gets weaker and weaker and spirals further downhill.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last watering was 3 days ago and the top is 'moist' I would say, probably another 2 days until a watering.
    Thanks again both of you for all your input...anything I can do to help save em if the roots are the problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since they are showing obvious signs of dehydration stress I would be tempted to treat them as if they were unrooted cuttings. Water them well and put a plastic bag over the top for a few weeks. At the very least water from the top until a little water runs out the bottom every couple of days untill they have a chance to form new roots. That's what I would do anyway, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were to take a little of the sphagnum from the top and squeeze it firmly, would you be able to squeeze out some water? You should if you can't. So you may need to increase the watering a little. However you do need to be careful not to over due it because if the roots are not as healthy as they could be, overwatering will be the nail in the coffin so to speak.

If it were me I would unpot a plant that is clearly not healthy to see directly if there is a root problem. A healthy root system should be evident with a good amount of roots and a number of healthy root tips growing through the mix. (nepenthes root tips are white in case you were unaware). The roots should also be 'rooted' into the mix. If the mix just all falls away from the roots and the plant has been in the mix for a prolonged period of 4-6 months or longer then there is a problem.

IF you find the roots look good and the plant is well rooted into the mix then perhaps simply increasing the watering schedule will be all that's needed.
    IF you find the roots are not good then you need to perhaps repot into fresh mix (Nepenthes respond well to fresh mix at the roots) and bag the plant like it was a cutting, until the root system recovers and is able to support the plant again. This could be on the order of 2-4 months or so.. or longer... During which time the potting mix should remain moist but not sopping wet. So somewhere around halfway between dry moss just out of the package from the store and dripping wet from the bucket after rehydrating.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what you find.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's going in my notebook Tony, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also your mix is a little heavy for pretty much any nepenthes. I have found that growing in peat/dried LFS and perlite leads to all sorts of problems in the long run like algae, mold, salt accumulation, etc. try Fafard orchid mix thats what I use and I add a little bit of extra charcoal, peat, and pool filter sand just to give it something else to root into. This mix will require you to water more, but if you get your humidity up above 60% you shouldn't have to water more than once a week. Check out my picture thread to see my old and current setups.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best Nepenthes advice I've read in the last six months.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! Your advice has been taken to heart. I'll put as much of this into practice tomorrow as possible and give ya a quick update!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123