Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Grow Rack Advice?

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Grow Rack Advice?

So in spite of MANY efforts, the neps I am still growing on my grow rack seem to be declining. I have moved most to windowsills where they appear to be doing better, but I want to fix this. Below is what I am currently working with:
    Photo0187

A few notes:
    The lights I have in the 2 t-12 ballasts are about a year old, I'm think I might need to replace the bulbs. I also have a new T-5 that I am going to add, which will bring it up to 6 bulbd above the plants, is this possibly too much?
    I am putting a new fan in tomorrow. I also have the humidifier running 24/7.
    Finally, I'm not too familiar with swamp cooling, what can I do to get some temperature drops during the night?
    Thanks for any advice, trying to save a few loved neps that I'm not sure wil ldo too hot on the window sill. (N. spec x talangensis, N. merrliana x tobaica)
    Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose you have the T-12 lights because your shelf is too short for 4 foot T-8's? I seem to remember a discussion about this in an earlier thread of yours. Really, 2 foot T-12's are pretty weak, it would be much better to ditch them and let some T-8's hang out the ends. New T-12 bulbs would just be a waste of money in my opinion.
    Failing that go ahead and put in the T-5 fixture. I bet you will see a difference.
    I don't have any experience with those particular neps though.
    You in St Louis experience basically the same climate as I do in Southern Illinois. Swamp coolers don't really work very well in our humidity. They cool by blowing air over a damp wick of some sort and rely on dry arid conditions to make it work (cooling though evaporation... look it up).

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocket, first, thanks for chiming in!
    Yes, the grow rack itself is just about 2.5 ft, so 2 fts are the longest I can put in there. When I first got the lights, it's the best I could do. I will definitely continue to get T-5s in the future (This is good right?)
    Yea I read up on it via wikipedia, but didn;t know what humidity levels were acceptable.
    One thing to note is that the rack actually did quite well for 6 months+, but seems to have gone down hill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is everything declining, or just those 2 neps?
    We have been having brutal heat, how have your daytime temps been?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What temperatures does the rack experience! If it's a light issue, many hardware stores sell extremely reflective bubblewrap that works really well to insulate my plants and focus the light. Evaporative cooling could work if it's dry in your house. Is it possible they have some kind of pest or disease? You said this happened all of a sudden.
    Last edited by Sundrew; 08-15-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been most of the neps on the rack besides a few seedlings, going down hill maybe 3-4 months now.
    I have definitely been fidgeting with humidity recently, and trying to get that up. Temsp don't get above 80 on the rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only max 80 and you are trying to figure out how to cool? Some things are not adding up.

The lights are weak but they shouldn't be causing the plants to decline... get big and floppy and elongated (in severe cases) yes but decline no. Close up photos of the plants etc and any other info on the environmental conditions would help. I suspect there are other issues going on, than just the somewhat low light levels.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My humidity hovers between 30% and about 45%, my plants don't seem to notice. You can check my growlist to see what I am growing on the rack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast