Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nep-stravaganza!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had it a little over 6 months and it has put out at least four new leaves, every one has a pitcher on it too. I just gave it a coffee treatment for the first time yesterday, I'm hoping for a good leaf size increase.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ampy heaven!! So you just grow everything hot then? I swear everything I saw was supremely LL 'cept for one.

That being said... those poor harlequin and glabrata .. have you sprayed that glab for bugs? That growth tip looks like it could use some neem imo..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a little history on the Tricolor/Harlequin terms. Tricolor is the old term for Harlequin. Rob originally called his red amps that had darker red speckles Tricolor. Even though they were red with darker red spots, no red amp is totally red and some flecks of green still come through, particularly where the tendril attaches and along the front where the wings attach, hence three colors. A few years later he did away with tricolor and began using the term harlequin to describe these same plants.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The harlequin I just got from Wireman and the glabrata was a back of the shelf save from the vendor that had all the growlights at the ICPS conference, however it has white pitchers and I just sprayed everything because I had aphids. So if there was something on it there isn't anymore, hopefully it'll start looking better soon and once it adapts pitchering those gorgeous little white pitchers.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not know that Tony thanks for the history This one was grow from seed by Nepguy, and personally I see a difference between the Harlequins and the true Tricolor ampullaria. I believe there are only two listed as registered cultivars now (I could be wrong) of Harlequin, and neither look like this one, at least from what I have seen in photos. Then again, you've been growing much longer than I have and know much more than I on these subjects so please continue to correct me if I am mislabeling or anything like that. I like to have all my plants properly labeled!
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the magic variability of seedlings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested to hear what your actual growing parameters are considering your range of plants. I didn't happen to come across what your day and night temperatures were, light levels etc.

The whole tricolor/harlequin terminology is somewhat nebulous anyway. They are not some written scientific description and deffinition so I guess are open to interpretation. I have seen alot of plants which I would call just speckled green clones labelled as tricolor because they have that mix of lighter and darker red speckling. Very pretty but not sure if I would term them tricolor based on Robs' original usage. I think he switched to the harlequin term because it turns out that the red pitchered plants can also get those two tone red speckles as well and give a very mottled colorful .. harlequin... appearance. The base color though I would still consider to be red, not green.

Not sure there are any officially registered cultivars? I haven't paid that much attention to what's been published or not regarding cultivars. I think 'Lime Twist' is the only one harlequin form that could be. Or at least has been selected at this point.

Hmm well I guess for posterity purposes this is what was being called tricolor back in 2002

Here is a group shot of young N. ampullaria harlequin x harlequin from 2009. Essentially the same thing. The pitcher coloration is a little light due to the younger plant age.

oh and just for comparisons sake.. N. amp. Lime Twist.. young plant
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Harlequen is healthy, I swear. I had to cut all of the pitchers off to encourage it to root, and they were decent sized pitchers from a basal rosette. That's why the leaves are so small.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast