What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

perlite vs vern

perlite vs vermiculite

what are the differences between the 2? both seem to aid in drainage...does verm float like perlite does?

Last edited:
lol sorry...vermiculite.

vermiculite has more minerals in it ,perlite is better for most cps,I prefer pumice to ether, but others prefer perlite both will work fine for most cps

Vermiculite will float, not as much as perlite though. Be aware vermiculite breaks down and turns into a mushy substance. It's okay if you change your substrate annually but I wouldn't use it for much longer than a year. Perlite breaks down eventually too, but you're probably good for two or three years.

thanx for the detailed advice.

Yep, a lot of growers don't use vermiculite do the factors previous members have already mentioned (minerals and mushyness) and it's really just not necessary. For example, Peter D'Amato switched his mixes from vermiculite to perlite, so if you're looking in The Savage Garden, some of that is outdated. Perlite's definitely better for the plants, I grow almost every plant I own in a mix somehow containing perlite, and I've never had any problems!

Oh, yes, I agree with all the above. The only thing I use vermiculite for is starting ping leaf pullings. Damp vermiculite is great for that.

I read somewhere that nepenthes benefit from minerals in vermiculite. That true?

I don't remember seeing it mentioned for neps. But then my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Yeah, I haven't heard that either. Perlite works great for neps. My nepenthes mix, a combination of LFS, orchid bark, and perlite, is great and probably one of the most common nepenthes mix among Nepenthes growers.

I read somewhere that nepenthes benefit from minerals in vermiculite. That true?

It says something to that effect in The Savage Garden. Pings and Neps benefit from the extra minerals and nutrients more than most other CP's. I also use vermiculite for ping leaf pullings. Works great. Other than for soil mixes for mexican pings, I also use vermiculite in Drosophyllum soil mix, and it works great. Haven't tried it for Neps yet.

Vermiculite has moisture retention properties comparable to peat (though not quite as good), and can help your soil to retain moisture longer if you're using a completely inorganic soil mix (again, as some people do for mexican pings, in particular)

Thanks for verifying rich jam. I thought I was going crazy for a second.

I also use vermiculite in Drosophyllum soil mix, and it works great.

I actually emailed Peter D'Amato in regard to using vermiculite in my drosophyllum mix a couple months ago. This is what he replied with: "We no longer use vermiculite in dewy pine soils, it's no longer necessary." Same goes for his nepenthes and sarracenia mix. Instead, perlite is used because it has more positive affects I believe. Just throwing that out there. And, as I said before, a lot of the stuff in The Savage Garden regarding vermiculite is a bit outdated seeing that perlite has only recently begun to really be popular among CP growers, at least more so than vermiculite.

I actually emailed Peter D'Amato in regard to using vermiculite in my drosophyllum mix a couple months ago. This is what he replied with: "We no longer use vermiculite in dewy pine soils, it's no longer necessary." Same goes for his nepenthes and sarracenia mix. Instead, perlite is used because it has more positive affects I believe. Just throwing that out there. And, as I said before, a lot of the stuff in The Savage Garden regarding vermiculite is a bit outdated seeing that perlite has only recently begun to really be popular among CP growers, at least more so than vermiculite.

While I use perlite for almost every plant soil mix, litterally, I personally feel that vermiculite can also play a very important role, especially in Cp's accustomed to dryer soils (Drosophyllum, pings, etc). I don't use it for airation, I use it to retain moisture. Perlite does not retain moisture long; and peat or sphagnum become very hydrophobic once dry, making them very difficult to re-hydrate. Vermiculite rehydrates very easily and retains moisture. So, with all due respect to D'Amato (who is obviously a very knowladgeable, successful, and legendary CP'er), I think vermiculite has it's place; at least in my collection ;)

---I've never used vermiculite for Sarracenia or Neps though :/

Back