What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month September 2012

Vote for the top 3 best!

• Heli - Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • RL7836 - U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • kulamauiman - S. alabamensis x S. leucophylla

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Devon - Drosera madagascariensis

• Lil Stinkpot - Utricularia gramminifolia

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • mass - D. graomogolensis

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • casca - S.leucophylla

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 31drew31 - Pinguicula gypsicola

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Wire Man - N. lavicola

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Exo - D.aliceae

• Sundrew - Drosera burmannii Humpty-Doo, Australia

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • punpkinface - D. lusitanicum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mcmcnair - D. lanata

• amphirion - U. campbelliana

• maxima - D.aliceae

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Av8tor1 - Heliamphora angasima

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Not a Number - Dionaea muscipula Hosford Bog, FL

• chibae - Sarracenia leucophylla 'garcon pt'

• richjam1986 - N. spectabilis*aristolochioides

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) Plant per member may be entered in any particular month. This means one Nep vine, one Sarr Rhizome, one pygmy dew etc.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 09/31/12
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher, unfurling of a leaf etc. are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher/plant/whatnot cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher/plant/whatnot entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo, or sprouted from seed by the owner.
9. I didn't like this rule. You can keep entering the same thing month after month and if people still like it without getting sick of it, so be it.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 10/01/12, closing 10/05/12 and using this forum in this thread! Voting will appear at the top of the thread at the close of the contest entries.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on September 31st 2012 at 5:00PM EST

Good Luck!

ehh... why not.
Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor

520BE564-7E63-48AB-99BB-F1F1EDBED34F-4316-000003A7C27F7405.jpg

15B1E42A-E288-43B4-ABDF-80A6E0F35599-4316-000003A7BCAEEED9.jpg

It seems that only half a dozen people even visit the Utric forum, so I think I'll use this U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia cross as my entry over here this month (also keeps me from forgetting to enter when I wait). :cool: The first flower popped a few days ago but didn't open fully. Thankfully, the 2nd flower was not far behind, so I snapped a few shots.

Quasi 3/4 view
Unephroxnelumbi3-4090112RS.jpg

Front
Unephroxnelumbifront090112RS.jpg

Side (closeup of the side-view - showing remnants of the colorful stripes on the spur from nelumbifolia dad)
Unephroxnelumbiside090112RS.jpg

Wow! :0o: Great entries this month so far!

Lovely plants!

My entry this month is Drosera madagascariensis.

The plant nearest to the middle is the entry.
7965529026_d997b2f8b2_c.jpg

7965513332_3b7f829693_c.jpg

7965445684_3148d70ffc_c.jpg

Utricularia gramminifolia. This is one plant, started from a single sprig placed there last fall, I think.

039-2.jpg

045-2-1.jpg

If I absolutely must identify one strand to showcase, then I pick that one, right .... there! Yeah that one, to the left of the gimpy flower stalk. :spidersmile:

What's the U. graminifolia growing on? Is that a swamp cooler? :scratch:

Great plant & great pic!

Wow all these entries are fantastic :0o:

Our good fortune to have such great growers who want to share their best with us :hail:

if there was more vegetation growing on that vertical wall, it could make a good home for campbelliana, though it cant be kept too wet.

Yeah, it's more of a swamp cooler wannabe, really. The intent is there, but the airflow through it isn't. :lol: I have a thread around somewhere showing how the greenhouse fountain was built.

Last edited:
that's so cool KT.
Daydream that someday we can do a pond, waterfall, utric wall out here. Would make a great landscape.

D. graomogolensis

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

A+

Like a coating of sugar crystals. Wow!

Wow 0_0. These are all really beautiful looking plants! :D I can't wait for my plain old Drosera seeds to arrive now, so that I can get involved in growing again - this is truly inspiring! :) And the D. graomogolensis (does someone want to tell me how to pronounce that please) is stunning. I've never seen one before, but I swear, every time I see a new carnivorous plant species I just end up wanting one :p I am definitely a collector at heart :D

AmazING! Mass and Lil! Beautiful work, both of ya!

Thanks everyone.
Kat, I pronounce everything wrong.. but in my mind I say "gram-o-go-lensis"

Thanks everyone.
Kat, I pronounce everything wrong.. but in my mind I say "gram-o-go-lensis"

Very close. The plant is close to an area of Brasil called Grao Mogol. Going off of that it would be said like "gr-ow-mo-goal-ensis."

graow-mo-go-lensis
Like with a strong southern accent?
"I like to watch mah plants graow!"

Back