User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! Algae overrunning my Sarracenia seedlings!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a conspiracy I say!!! Superthrive is just cinnamon water! The secret is out
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess its the media..
    *something* is feeding the algae..
    I cant find 2-P listed on the Fafard webpage, but the 1-P says:

Fafard Growing Mix 1-P
    Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (80%), perlite, starter nutrients, wetting agent & Dolomitic limestone.

I think the 2-P might be the same, just with a different peat/perlite ratio..
    If the 2-P also has "starter nutrients" or limestone in it, its pretty bad for Sarr seedlings..
    just plain old straight peat moss is the best thing to use IMO..
    no need to go with the fancy stuff..it can often be worse..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2P is unique from Fafard in that it does not have the starter nutrients or limestone. All that is in it is Peat Moss and Perlite and the wetting agent which has no detrimental effects on Sarracenia. I use it for all my carnivorous plants that need a 2P mix. And I've been growing for multiple years now. I know for a fact it is not the choice of media. The plants were under fog nozzles all summer which were on for 8 seconds every 6 minutes from sunrise until sunset. The bench they were on is a breeding place for algae which is where it first came from. When repotting we tried our best to get all the algae off of the seedlings, but we obviously didn't get it all. The point is we now need to get rid of it for good, which is why I'm asking for suggestions for an algicide.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Physan 20 is an algicide that's used for cleaning benches, pots and trays. It can be used as a fungicide also. I don't know if I would spray it on seedlings in concentrations used for sterilizing though. It comes with a little booklet with all the concentrations for various uses and classes of plants.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you just need to stop spraying them with water every six minutes... But sounds like you already have stopped? If you water them just slightly less so the top layer of soil isn't so wet, that might go a long way to stopping the algae.

UV light will help kill algea as well. If you can expose the pots to some unfiltered full sun outside for a long enough time...But then of course you would need to worry about shocking the sarr seedlings as well, so you would need to do it slowly, perhaps. But maybe that would defeat the controled aspect of your experiment...? And now I'm just blabbing random ideas.

Springtails have also helped a fair amount in some of my pots, as was mentioned; but my pings and small dews have taken a lot of them out. lol
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea we did stop spraying them a few weeks ago, now they're being bottom watered via the tray method. If I was allowed to introduce springtails I would but I think the greenhouse manager would kick me out. I like the UV light idea. Maybe a combination of more light and letting the soil dry out a little would be a good option?
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think that could go a long way, if you don't want to risk the effects of an algaecide at least. Remember that UV doesn't really transmit through glass or plastic though. I'm sure you knew that. But more light in general would probably help too.

You could also try adding a top layer of washed sand over your soil... maybe like a cm, or slightly less. I think that would work quite well actually. The top of the sand wouldn't stay wet enough for algae growth, especially if you used a more coarse textured sand in combination with higher light. Just throwing out ideas

Have you seen any negative effects from the algae?
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, we started with about 1200 seedlings and we're down to about 850 now...
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast