Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Dormant Deathcube Rescue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a parrot

Quote Originally Posted by lil hokie View Post
    Those things make me angry. They spread lies and discourage possible growers too. Also at Barnes and Noble I noticed this little box that says "Grow Your Own Venus Flytrap." I took a look at it and they give you a pot and peat pellet with TWO SEEDS!! The thing is up by the cash registers.
    i actually bought one of those once. they are better than i expected. first of all, the instructions were a nice informative booklet, instead of just a misleading scrap of paper. second, the seeds in mine came smashed, but inside was an address to send the proof of puchase to in case the seeds failed to germinate, in which case, the company would replace them. i sent them a letter, and they actually sent me my seeds fairly quickly! those seeds must have been fairly fresh because i managed to get one to germinate!. i sorta killed it by doing something stupid and noobish, and i wold prefer not to talk about that!

but i do agree, they should have more than just two seeds.(and put them in buuble wrap in the box, so they didnt get crushed like mine. funny thing is, they mailed the second set in bubble wrap! why not just put it in the box in the first place?!?)

and thanks for the ID hcarlton! i was wondering what it was...

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm well it is good that they do send other seeds if they are damaged.

Today I saw an egg plant case thingy like the eggs that people hide on Easter with stuff inside. Anyways they had a lot of them with different types of plant seeds in them and one of the eggs was a pitcher plant egg. This was at the art store, Micheal's. Oh and they also have these plant domes as well. A hyrdo-growing dome (which I want), and a few others as well as a carnivorous plant dome. It comes with seeds and germination pellets as well as a fake snake to put in the garden dome.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Sarracenia, are you saying one of yours turned out to be a parrot, or the hybrid just above? A parrot pitcher wouldn't have the open ends DJ's plant does.
    Lil Hokie, I haven't had experience with the hydro dome ( though I'm wary of their advertising as it giving the plants nutrients in the water, not usre if that works), but the other dome, if done right, definitely works. Most of the plants I got from that ended up dead thanks to my own dumb mistakes, but some are alive and still doing well. Never did find a good use for the fake reptiles, though.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well plenty of plants are really good at hydroponics especially vegetables. I have always wondered if CPs would be good at hydroponics just minus the nutrients added to the water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Hey, Sarracenia, are you saying one of yours turned out to be a parrot, or the hybrid just above? A parrot pitcher wouldn't have the open ends DJ's plant does.
    Lil Hokie, I haven't had experience with the hydro dome ( though I'm wary of their advertising as it giving the plants nutrients in the water, not usre if that works), but the other dome, if done right, definitely works. Most of the plants I got from that ended up dead thanks to my own dumb mistakes, but some are alive and still doing well. Never did find a good use for the fake reptiles, though.
    ah, i see now! with the more open ends like that, it is almost definately a parrot HYBRID probably wrigelleyana (or however you spell it!) and, yes, i meant the ones above. mine looks like it could very well be a rubra.

the only problem with those domes is that sometimes, they will have been sitting on the shelves long enough that the seeds will have long since dried out, and are dead by the time someone buys the kit. in my experience, the seeds from these kits have never sprouted, but apparently this is just my bad luck, picking the boxes with dead seeds. i suppose that you could just add your own seeds to the mix, as the kit does provide a rater nice germination "terrarium" and the plants would likely thrive for years in the bottom part with the lid removed, it would mike a nice minibog for the baby plants! i had also once thought that it would make a nice gift , and might just introduce someone new to the hobby of CP growin, if only the seeds were better quality, then i thought that you could just take a selection of your own temperate seeds, and stick them in with the others. its a much better gift if the seeds actually grow!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking maybe psittacina hybrid due to the "windows" it has and the open pitchers, but hard to tell as when I got it from the store it had the weak elongated leaves in its desparate attempt to reach some light. Really won't know until it starts forming normal pitchers though, but will be surprised if it is a purp.

Sarracenia_X: I would be interested in seeing what yours looks like when it is growing good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Lowes yesterday and I wanted to grab a Deathcube but my dad made me put it back because I "have too many plants" which of course I disagreed and since I moved back in with my parents I have to listen to them again. I tried what used to work when I was five but I guess that does not work anymore at 25...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE:

the pitcher plant grew a little, and made a few new leaves, but i think it is just starting to go dormant now, with the cooler temps.

the flytrap, i had thought was dead, i inspected the bulb just the other day, and saw a TINY (1-2 millimeters) shoot starting to sprout from the base! there is still some hope that this little guy is going to make it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast