Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Dormant Deathcube Rescue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double Dormant Deathcube Rescue

so, about a week or so ago, while at my local Lowes, i was searching the deathcube rack for a new CP to bring home.

thats when i came across one of these "terrarium sets"

of course, the plants in these are temperate, and completely unsuitable for a terrarium.

and they have apparently also been forced into dormancy, way out of their normal resting season.

however, i found one that was just begging to be saved, one containing a little sarr reaching out with two pathetic, twisted phyllodia.

it was in a fairly good condition, and seemed to know that it wasnt supposed to be dormant, and was trying to grow new leaves. well, he's in a good home now!

the cube also contained a flytrap, which in even worse condition.... probably couldnt have survived another day in there, and im still not sure he's ging to make it...

anyways here are the pics...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I've got those before, and the idea is a piece of crap. The flytraps and even the pitcher plants are still alive, but the pitchers that are advertised on the terrarium are not what is in the kit, usually. It advertises purple pitchers, but what you're really getting are typical rubra rubra.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Place within 1-4 feet of window, glass door, or florescent light. Keep soil moist. Never below 40 degrees. Do not use...insecticides"

What piece of crap instructions!
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those things make me angry. They spread lies and discourage possible growers too. Also at Barnes and Noble I noticed this little box that says "Grow Your Own Venus Flytrap." I took a look at it and they give you a pot and peat pellet with TWO SEEDS!! The thing is up by the cash registers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to say though, that you CAN get some nice plants this way, given that you know what your doing. I've gotten a nice sized Darlintonia in a death cube, not to mention a few sarracenia, dews, and flytraps in the past. But good luck to new growers! Like you said, I wish these companies would stop sabatoging new growers' success and actually give them some decent resources to learn how to grow these plants... Not to mention correctly label the plants to species
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Dork in a coffee cup tikiwikitiki2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I occasionally see those 'kits' at our Lowes but they never mark it down. They often get the small and large cubes with live plants but lately they've only had Venus Flytraps and the occasional Drosera. I did manage to find two "cubes" of venus fly traps that had 3 or 4 plants each that had been marked down.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, never seen them offered with soil separate, just already potted up. Same stupid instructions though. Would love to see pics of the progress of these.

Here is my recent death cube rescue from Lowes. The first time I have seen sarrs offered this way here, usually VFT, dews, and pings. This one was labeled purpurea, we will see.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Finally seeing new growth with color after a couple weeks
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like either a 'Scarlet Belle' or other psittacina cross.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast