Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pics for trip...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up pics for trip...

hello everyone, as you can see, i am alive, and in one piece.

here are a few of my favorite photos of my time in Sudan from the past few weeks.
    the purpose of going on this trip is to raise awareness of the genocidal crisis going on in parts of Sudan, and hopefully put political and international pressure to end it. the government genocidal program's main method is through starvation. by bombing Nuban villages, people are unable to cultivate crops (subsistence farming) and must flee to the mountains for shelter. Farming can only be done within a stone's throw from the foot of the mountain, which allows for a brief supply of food during the dry season. it IS going to get worse for these people as December/January heads in as their food supply from this year will be depleted.

why dont they run?
    -they have been running. many refugees from this crisis have found their way into neighboring countries such as kenya, uganda, and south sudan. at one south
    sudanese refugee camp, over 65,000 individuals have settled, 25% of them being under 5.
    -however, there are many that cannot run because they are either too old or too young- the Nubans have a very strong family unit. it is not abnormal to see
    a few capable family members make a grueling 40+ mile hike to another country to buy food and return back to the mountains.

" You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice shots, Jon; another great effort on your part . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos my friend.... many talk about what should be done, while others go out and do it

Sooooo when are we joining Peace Corps?

Great pics btw....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible photos... Amazing people...

Good work...

...Tell me if you ever need backup...
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bigbella: thanks a lot sir.

@av8tor: thanks very much. this trip was basically a recon trip which will be used to figure out future plans. we were able to purchase and transport 1000 lbs of rice and sorghum
    to the people who needed it most. the closest accessible airport was about 40 miles away, and the roads were swamped (wet season)--resulting with us having to hike and transporting the food by bicycle, motorbike, or atv, depending on who was willing to work with us from town to town. as for the peace corps- that could be a definite possibility, and a much safer route to go by; but at the same time, safer routes can mean being unable to help people who need it the most.

@peatmoss: high five! i appreciate your desire to help, but i would wisely suggest that you look up more about the Nuban conflict before "signing up". while our team was lucky enough not to experience any of the dangers (besides natural) the Nuban people face on a routine basis, they are indeed very real. the transition between order and chaos can be found within a span of 3-5 seconds.
    Last edited by amphirion; 09-25-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehehe, pine I am not...

Don't forget, with my hair, and as tall as I am, I'll make a big target... Bad news for me

Good work you do. Don't give up! Good to see people making a difference!
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *facepalm*

well, PEATMOSS, as tall as you are, im sure it wont matter, since Nubans are around the 6'5" on average. has a lot more to do with endurance, speed, and being prepared for worst case scenario situations.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly amazing pictures, Jon. Such beautiful children. I hope for success for your endeavor and a positive resolution to the plight of these unfortunate people.
    - Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast