User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Brainstorm How to Keep Plants Through Winter -- Not Inside -- Frugally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a freeze warning tonight, and I'm wondering which I should bring in. I already brought the nep into the garage. Just being in my sundews, and let the sarrs and VFTs endure the mild freeze? Low is 34 tonight, freeze warning between 2 and 9am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I brought in all the sundews and left the VFTs and Sarrs out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    34 is mild..
    even if you get a frost, it will be a very light frost..it wont hurt them..I would leave my plants out with that forecast..
    (referring only to VFT's and Sarrs)

I use "29" as my magic number in early spring and autumn when the plants are out on the deck..
    If I see a 29 or lower as a forecast overnight low, I put the plants in the garage for the night..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even capensis? This thread led me to believe that D. capensis can't freeze.

Also, unrelated: I watched a video today from Sarracenia Northwest, and saw about harvesting Sarrs seeds. Then I went outside and noticed I have a bunch! I never had any before. Maybe I didn't know what to look for, or cut off flower stalks too soon, but my x catesbaei gave me a bunch of seeds. Who knows if they're crossed with my other Sarrs. Kind of exciting.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 30F as my cut off. Any cooler they go in the garage for the night. I arbitrarily picked that number and it has worked, so I stick with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. Why pick a temperature 2 or 3 degrees below freezing? Why not freezing? Just curious.

I get scared, but haven't lost a plant due to temps yet. I've only lost D. adelae because they're fussy, a butterwort because I let it flower and I shouldn't have, a cobra lily from Lowe's because it didn't like my method of caring for plants, and the Sarr right above my mint plant here (around 5 o'clock) has been doing worse and worse all year and I have no idea why:

I'm getting off-topic.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do it because it is a pain to move them. They can survive a light frost, so i let them. If you want to bring them in at 34 it would be fine, just not necessary. Your capes will die back to their roots, but come back from them in the spring. They are pretty remarkable plants when you think about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    Hmmm. Why pick a temperature 2 or 3 degrees below freezing? Why not freezing? Just curious.
    For the same reasons collapse said in the post above..
    34 degrees is WAYYY too warm to bother moving them..nothing bad will happen at 34 degrees..
    32 degrees is technically freezing..but..for VFT's and Sarrs in the winter, they very often get a light freeze in their native habitats..
    32 is fine for them..no real danger at all..

29 is below freezing, and at 29 you can get a light frost..actual frost on the leaves of the plants..
    but it would be a very *light* frost, and it would only last a few hours..as soon as the sun comes up, it will quickly rise above freezing, (in October)

a 29 degree low, in the Autumn, here in the "north" is a very "mild" cold night..its the equivalent of an unusually "cold" cold night in the south..
    and I figure a light frost actually helps the plants go "fully dormant" so that they are very clearly and deeply "asleep" when
    I cut off all their leaves and put them in the basement stairwell for their full winter dormancy..

So I choose "below 29" degrees as my "limit" because I know they can handle 29 just fine..
    in fact, one or two 29 degree nights is probably good for them..

There is no real reason to bring them in the garage for "only" 32 degrees..
    Because I know they can handle 29 degrees *for a few hours* in an early Autumn morning..
    Its the 3 months straight below freezing (around here) that they cant handle..

Scot

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast