Thread: USPS shipping practices

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USPS shipping practices

How Y'all are!?
    I am wanting to know what the best days of the week are for shipping plants out.
    The wife sez that they process packages every day and items would arrive within a few days (mon) if shipped today......
    I am quite dubious of this.
    My time at work limits my access to the Post Office and I have today off, would like to get some promised plants out!
    Thanks for the help.
    Larry
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Packages sent Saturday Priority Mail usually get delivered on Monday. It may take a day longer if your local post office is some distance from the sorting facilities, but most major cities will get delivered on Mon. If you mail Friday the package will sit in a sort facility Sunday and won't be delivered until Monday. However the sort facilities are heated/airconditioned.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Larry, long time no see. Hope all is well..
    Here's my breakdown on USPS priority shipping.
    Monday shipping is best.
    Friday is worst.
    Wednesday is the cutoff.
    Thursday for Saturday arrival is a gamble.
    Sat. shipping is a coin toss between Monday & Tuesday arrival.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Packages sent Saturday Priority Mail usually get delivered on Monday.
    This has also been my experience - over 80% of my packages to continental US sites arrive on Monday. Shipping out on Sat is also the most convenient for me - so it works well. Shipping on Monday is also excellent.

I've been using delivery confirmation when sending packages so I know where it goes & what happens to it. It's also a nice benefit to give the tracking number to your recipient so they can do the same & be well-prepared.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks!
    I feel a bit better about putting plants in the mail....it is rather new to me to ship things out.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to throw a wrench in the works...
    this Monday is Columbus day, and I am not sure how good it is when things sit yet another day waiting around,
    but as I mantione in a PM, I have never had issues with any shipments of plants, caused by sitting too long in a box...
    well, except for a time or two when I got a shipment & nearly forgot all about them... finding them after a lengthy stay
    in a dark, overly wet container! But that was my own fault from being too busy & forgetting things,
    and NOT because the plants spent an extra few days in shipping.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody has different experiences with USPs in shipping plants. For me within the last 2 years: 3 plant shipments gone missing never to be found (coming to me and going from me), a package clearly addressed to Oregon and going to Hawaii instead, 3 crushed packages (plants survived), 2 packages clearly addressed delivered to the wrong address in my town and sitting another few days before being delivered to me. I have had plants make it from Oregon to the east coast in 3 days while another package to Southern California taking 5 days. All these packages being shipped priority mail.

Granted, I have shipped a lot of plants and received a lot over the last couple of years, but still look at USPS as a crap shoot what is going to happen to a package and never ship later in the week than Tuesday and now always with tracking.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had GREAT success with USPS! I got a package from over 3,000 miles away in two days with priority mail. I got a package from a trade overnight. They have all arrived in good condition with no service issues. I will only use USPS from now on.

You have to remember, all of them will make mistakes and all of them will do their best to get it to your ASAP. It's like picking a phone, pick one you like and live and let live. Some may like flip phones, some may like iPhones, and intelligent people will like Androids, just like how intelligent people will pick USPS.

But really, it's all personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast