Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordering from international vendors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note.. USDA will look for both permits if you are importing plants. Regardless if 621 is needed or not.. If you want to avoid USDA hassels and trying to explain what permits you should and shouldn't need.. get both.

Nepenthes plants are all listed on CITES so yes the exporter must supply an export CITES permit from the country of origin along with phyto.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the clarification Tony!
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?...0&page=1#16415

This is my claim to fame in the cp community. Five or so years ago, I tried to import some plants from a guy in Malaysia. It was some mature large red sanguinea and ramispina from "a local nursery."
    When you get a 587, you need to state which ports you want to try and use from their list. I did not, so did not get the stickers. I then called and the stickers were being mailed.
    I had already had the permit when I bought the plants-just not the stickers. While I was waiting for them, the seller got impatient and shipped them, marking them as "Children's Toys."
    They got discovered in Indianapolis(sniffed out by beagles, lol, which I have one), and destroyed. They also had some bugs they found.
    I got visted by the USDA(at work, no less), showed them my permit, explained what happened and they went on their merry way. No problem, right?
    WRONG!
    I got a letter saying I was being fined for $2500 for smuggling.
    I called both agents to ask how this was possible. One thought I had a good case, the other thought I had no leg to stand on. Anyway, since I intiated the movement of the plants to the US, I was considered a smuggler(since the seller lied). I talked to my lawyer, and he said to research the case, etc, it would cost at least as much as $2500. I was going to defend myself, but as Aidan said, I discovered if the judge did not see things my way, he/she could raise the fine up to $10,000! So I paid the $2500.
    If the USDA would find the plant, I would guess(unless the vendor lies) that nothing this severe would happen, but that's just a guess.
    This person sells a lot on eBay. I would ask him to hold it and get the documentation.

Cheers,

Joe
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NAN I do not plan on ordering from anyone until I have all of my permits in place.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12