User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do carnivorous plant flowers smell???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Do carnivorous plant flowers smell???

Some people say that since they eat bugs, they smell horrible. Other people say they smell good(depending on species). Another group of people say they smell good all together.
    So what is it I know that a lot of carnivorous plant flowers don't have a scent, but what is your take on this XD!? (BTW I heard that the yellow (oreophila) pitcher plant flowers smell similar to the common easter lily, is that true?) I hope to make this an interesting thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes flowers have a distinct "odor", immediately identifiable when you have half a dozen plants in bloom at once, and it is sunny and warm in the greenhouse. Some Drosera like D. roseana smell very sweet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utricularia alpina has a sweet citrus like scent. Sort of like the lavender roses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you brought this up. Some people mistake plants like the voodoo lily or skunk cabbage to be carnivorous; and since these smell bad, they thing all Carnivores smell bad. Really the opposite is true. To me, Sarracenia leucophylla has a sweet minty smell with a hint of smoke. S. flava has a more citrus like smell, which some people call feline but I can't quite detect that. S. rubra has a cherry kool aid scent. As for S. oreophila, I just added this plant to my collection, so I'll have to wait until spring to verify it's scent.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes flowers . . . Enough said.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes flowers have a distinct "odor", immediately identifiable when you have half a dozen plants in bloom at once, and it is sunny and warm in the greenhouse. Some Drosera like D. roseana smell very sweet.
    I never knew that nepenthes and drosera blooms have scents!
    Utricularia alpina has a sweet citrus like scent. Sort of like the lavender roses
    Wow, I didn't know that utricularias (especially orchid or epiphytic ones) have scents. BTW I am jealous of anyone who has Utricularia Alpina.
    Some people mistake plants like the voodoo lily or skunk cabbage to be carnivorous; and since these smell bad, they thing all Carnivores smell bad. Really the opposite is true.
    Funny how people assume if a plant is stinky and attracts bugs, it's immediately a carnivorous plant!
    To me, Sarracenia leucophylla has a sweet minty smell with a hint of smoke. S. flava has a more citrus like smell, which some people call feline but I can't quite detect that. S. rubra has a cherry kool aid scent.
    Thank you, now I now how a sarracenia leucophylla might smell like, and now I know what 'feline scent' is. I need to save money for a rubra now!!!
    As for S. oreophila, I just added this plant to my collection, so I'll have to wait until spring to verify it's scent.
    Congrats on your new plant, what kind is it the common one or 'Sand Mountain'? Let me know how it smells like when it blooms!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The oreophila is just the common one. I assume from AL since there is only 1 site in GA and 1 in NC. I'll let you know how it smells in the spring. Right now, its just a mass of phillodia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes pitchers smell delicious. The flowers, not so much. Some drosera flowers are scented.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast