0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic! thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Epic stuff.. Im super sad I couldnt make it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Gosh, that sphag is the proof that I need to listen to Paul much more than I do. Nicest grown Neps I've seen ever...
    Gosh, ya think maybe, just maybe I know what I'm doing? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    How does he keep it wet if it is hanging like 8" over the side of the pot?
    By keeping it moist, of course! Seriously, it's about maintaing ideal humidity during the daylight hours, plus a generous misting of the moss a couple times a day. Nothing more to it than that. I take my greenhouse very seriously (seriously FUN, of course), and so I have engineered an environment that is as close to ideal as I can accomplish. If you do things half way, you will likely get half way results. I'm not interested in half way.

Glad you like the Sphagnum. It is a mix of plants, no idea what species. (Don't know, don't care: as someone pointed out, there are well over 100 species, and identification in cultivation requires skill and intimate knowledge of the genus, so why try?) Most of it came from Hortus Botanicus (what the heck happened to Robert??) as packing moss accompanying purchased plants, and some from Jeremiah, and some came from spontaneous colonies that generated from chopped, dried moss used for Nepenthes seed germination cultures. The stuff from HB grows very red at times of the year (some pots are a mix of bright green and dark red right now, and yet are all the same plant!) but mainly stays green or green-brown. Getting Sphagnum to consistently grow red likely requires serious witchcraft, the likes of which few of us can summon.

@Sundrew: re better beards. Agreed. And DJ has told me the next time we meet, she will wear a prosthetic chin wig, to feel more in sync with the group. I can tell you, that is something I am looking forward to!

@mass: I am pleasantly surprised by my Cephaloti (plural?), since this is my first experience growing the genus, and I expected more trouble than I got. Mind you, until I have gone another four or five years, I don't consider myself genuinely successful with them: still just "an accomplished novice".

@Brie: another time, another time. It will only get better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow pauls place looks fantastic,and i agree i could not imagine better grown plants,paul no half measures barden

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a few more...

As Dj told me - it is interesting how two people can take pictures in the same time and place and yet take very different photos:

Notice the huge bud on this cactus to the right and the hand pruners for scale.

Look at all those sarr seedlings!

Sarrs in the hoop house.

Orchids, Nepenthes and sundews - oh, my!

These orchids gave the entire greenhouse a wonderful, gentle aroma.

- Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so wait.. you have a hoop house just for sarrs too!?!?! Lucky..
    Wish we had field trips like that out here.

LOVE your x Tiveyi. We should exchange basals, err.. umm.. notes.
    my female Sarawak Red popped a stunted retard of a pitcher today. plant does NOT like being moved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice selection of photos, Mark!
    By the way, that "cactus" is Stapelia gigantea, one of the most noxious smelling botanical curiosities ever to roam the Earth! The open blooms are covered in pink and brown hair and the interior looks like the withered skin of an eight day dead Rabbit. Of course, the "fragrance" it gives off is not unlike the smell of said dead Rabbit left to melt on a hot tarmac.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    so wait.. you have a hoop house just for sarrs too!?!?! Lucky..
    Wish we had field trips like that out here.

LOVE your x Tiveyi. We should exchange basals, err.. umm.. notes.
    my female Sarawak Red popped a stunted retard of a pitcher today. plant does NOT like being moved.

Yes, there is a 20 X 48 hoop house that is currently dominated by Sarracenia. In the summer months, it is also the T&P House (tomato and pepper), since our climate isn't ideal for those warmth loving veggies. Your 'Sarawak Red' doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it.....or is that as open as its going to get? I believe my Tiveyi is the "red" clone from EP, if I'm not mistaken. (got it from Jeremiah, of course)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast