Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recent visit to a local grower's Geinhouse

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whim, may I ask what care you provide to get your sphagnum that amazing? What is your daytime/nighttime humidity? How much direct sunlight do they get per day? How often do you mist them? Fertilizers? Coffee? Any special tips? Does temperature matter? Does it grow slowly in the winter, or not even at all?

I absolutely love sphagnum, about as much as I love Nepenthes lol. I'm going to order a few different species to culture in my greenhouse for Christmas and I want to get everything in perfect order before they arrive so they will have optimum growing conditions.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Your 'Sarawak Red' doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it.....or is that as open as its going to get? I believe my Tiveyi is the "red" clone from EP, if I'm not mistaken. (got it from Jeremiah, of course)
    no no, that peristome still has a long ways to go before it's done. Just popped this morning..
    Notice the pitcher to leaf size ratio. This pitcher popped quite early, kind of a disappoint.
    I moved the plant while repotting some stuff, and poof.. undersized pitcher.
    sorry to hijack the thread with my lust for stripes.
    proceed..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Whim, may I ask what care you provide to get your sphagnum that amazing? What is your daytime/nighttime humidity? How much direct sunlight do they get per day? How often do you mist them? Fertilizers? Coffee? Any special tips? Does temperature matter? Does it grow slowly in the winter, or not even at all?

I absolutely love sphagnum, about as much as I love Nepenthes lol. I'm going to order a few different species to culture in my greenhouse for Christmas and I want to get everything in perfect order before they arrive so they will have optimum growing conditions.

Thanks!
    I pretty much posted this info earlier today; refer to my post at the top of this page. (Meaning the page you're on right now)

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I pretty much posted this info earlier today; refer to my post at the top of this page. (Meaning the page you're on right now)
    Oh god, my bad. I didn't even see your reply, nor did I remember I asked basically the same thing earlier. Thanks for the info up there though! Answered my questions. I think it was you that recommended the mist nozzle for garden hoses, yes? I want to give that a go, however I think it would be rather tedious to go outside three or four times a day to turn it on for a few minutes at a time and let the humidity swing around during the breaks. Would it be a better use of my time and money to buy a fogger, a humidistat and a thermostat?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travis, that almost always happens to me if I disturb a plant while a pitcher is forming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be a better use of my time and money to buy a fogger, a humidistat and a thermostat?
    As the old saying goes, "By Jove, I think he's got it!" (That is an affirmative)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark: Nice pics, you covered what I did not get good pics of. That Judith Hindle was amazing and was hoping you got a decent shot of it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh, that sphag is the proof that I need to listen to Paul much more than I do. Nicest grown Neps I've seen ever... The sphag is too amazing though. How does he keep it wet if it is hanging like 8" over the side of the pot?
    Call it the Whim effect...the man is gifted.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast