User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terraforum’s Third Annual Calendar Contest for 2013!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rules updated for clarification
    Last edited by amphirion; 10-26-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Photobucket have the capability of turning pictures from portrait to landscape?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can rotate the image but then the vertical axis becomes the horizontal axis. You can always crop a photo to be "landscape" however the composition will most likely be drastically altered. The resulting image might be less than 8 megapixels too.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, how would I go about finding out how big a pic is? Is knowing the MP of the camera good enough? Or do I need something else?
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat your camera should have setting to select the image size you want to shoot with. Say your image is 1600 x 1200 pixels. Multiply them together and you get 1,920,000 pixels, or 1.92 megapixels.

Right clicking on the img file on your computer and selecting "info" or something similar should show you the pixels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat, make sure that the camera is on the highest resolution setting before you take the pictures. Then you know that the image is at its largest.

For correct terminology, I would like to suggest a slight change to the rules, changing the limit to image dimensions rather than megapixels. I'd leave the Mp in parentheses, as a guideline. For example: "Image size should be NO LESS THAN (I'm guessing here) 1,000 by 500 pixels (your camera must have at least 8 megapixels).

See, megapixels is measuring the sensor size, not the image. It is easier to limit the final product, especially for those that like to (need to) resize and/or crop, like me. I have plenty of Mp, but I usually downsize drastically. Technically, I can submit my images that are 600 by 400 pixels, because my camera has 12 megapixels.

Just sayin'.

I'll shut up and go take pictures, now.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    To answer your questions:
    1) Frankly, I don't think it matters who is part of the judging panel--we will make unbiased selections..
    With all I've had to put up with this year, it matters. Matters to me anyways..
    I most definitely think we deserve to know who is determining whether or not our photo's are "worthy" of the public vote.

"we" will make unbiased decisions? Does this mean you're on the judging panel?
    Are the judges allowed to make pic entries into the contest? Would seem a little biased.
    If not, how are we to know who is and isn't making entries as a judge.. since it's a super duper secret?

Why even have a secret judging panel? Seems silly to even give the public a vote if you go that route.
    I mean, what makes this super secret panel of judges so high and mighty that they can judge OUR pics prior to the public? You're giving an unelected group of people the power of choice. Can you blame me for wanting to know who these people are?
    Is this panel made up of Devon, Paul, and Brie? If so, I have no qualms. I trust their judgement since their photography skills far surpass anyone elses around here. Didn't need a private panel the past couple of years. The TF poll vote seemed to work just fine.

Also, when we posted our pics to a public thread, we were able to go back and change our entries prior to the deadline, which I liked.
    That privilege has been taken away with the email entry system. No biggie, just wanted to pass on a "previous participant's" observation for the upcoming years..
    Last edited by mass; 10-25-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Why even have a secret judging panel? Seems silly to even give the public a vote if you go that route.
    I mean, what makes this super secret panel of judges so high and mighty that they can judge OUR pics prior to the public? You're giving an unelected group of people the power of choice. Can you blame me for wanting to know who these people are?
    Is this panel made up of Devon, Paul, and Brie? If so, I have no qualms. I trust their judgement since their photography skills far surpass anyone elses around here.
    I am not a "judge" on this panel, just so we are perfectly clear on this. I have no problem, personally, submitting work for a juried process; I've done it many times over the years for professional exhibitions, so this ain't a new idea to me. If anything I would prefer to have my work judged by a "secret" panel than have my photos submitted for public voting, since there is room for favoritism to play a part and corrupt the process when everyone gets to vote. My work is up to snuff, so I just don't have an issue with an undisclosed panel making the choices.

The bottom line: this is TF's sandbox, TF's rules, and TF's calendar to print and distribute. Like most things in life, if you don't like the rules, just don't participate. Its that simple. (These comments are not aimed at any one individual in particular, they are simply an expression of personal opinion, so please take it in context)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast