What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. gracillima isn't in cultivation yet, so the consensus is that those MT plants are N. alba or something unnamed. The coloration of gracillima looks a little like mikei or nigra.

your plants are looking great Lil ,your set up must be working a treat:-D

That's what Damon thought. A mini alba, perhaps. It's always tiiiiny, and all the albas I've seen are HUGE.

My alba is small and slow growing. I've never seen a large one, in fact my alba is the only one I've seen in person. It looks just about identical to your plant.

hey lil,

interesting read and love the fit and finish.

question how are you growing lowlanders and highlanders in 1 terrarium? it mentions a lowland side so Im guessing its the use of your hL equipment with a heater on the LL side? or u use separate foggers etc? does the divider go all the way to the bottom. That's pretty neat. kudos!

Bobby, that's the basic idea. So far, though, it's just a variation in ventilation, and the ice bottles only go in the HL side. The plants are all doing just fine, so I'll keep tweaking it as I go. No foggers yet, haven't started looking, so haven't found the right one yet. ;) Eventually I'll get a small CHE for the LL side, and some sort of humidity raising device for both. The barrier goes completely from top to bottom and front to back. There are some small gaps, but I don't think that they'll do much harm.

My alba is small and slow growing. I've never seen a large one, in fact my alba is the only one I've seen in person. It looks just about identical to your plant.

The only alba I ever saw was ginormous. Let me see if I can find .... *tappity tappity tappity* .... Nope, sorry. I know I have a picture of it, but it's still on the desktop, not PB. But I swear, that sucker was HUGE, pitchers about as big as that ovata cross I have pictured.

Here are a couple pics from the lowlander side.

N. albomarginata

N. ventricosa Madja As

N. bicalcarata

I found something interesting. I forgot which Utric. I stuck in the pot. It started getting a little momentum in the last few weeks. I picked up the pot to get a closer look, and found a little surprise. :D

Sorry about the pics, too lazy to get the camera out again.

It's been over a year since an update, wow!

There have been ups and downs, some blue periods where the plants were neglected a bit, but overall all but one is alive and well. The one is just a tip cutting at the moment, but since it started growing, there may be hope of some roots further along. I hope! I have been having a perpetual issue keeping the humidity in the terrarium, I kept choosing materials that degraded too fast under the lights, but I think I found some 1 mil Mylar sheets that seem to work without being too bulky. It also seems that I let the soil degrade a bit too far, a number of the plants are smaller than they used to be. Lesson learned: keep a better eye on the plants! Most everything is OK, some not, though I'm not going out of my way to show the less-than-happy; I also won't take great pains to hide them.

OK, enough with the chatter, more pics.

Most of the terrarium, left to right:

Dendrobium chrysopterum, getting ready to pop.

Unknown fine-leaved maidenhair fern. It was a weed at a popular CP nursery, and they let me take it home to be loved.

Heliamphora pulchella, and it's first ever adult pitcher for me.

This is what I get for not watching the "kids" more closely.

Needs no introduction.

Utricularia nelumbifolia. Directly in the middle of the picture is the center of the plant, and allllll the exploratory stolons emerging.

U. humboldtii is slowly gaining traction.

Yeah, a little U. gibba got in.

Nepenthes ramispina

Another maidenhair fern. This one grew here on it's own spontaneously. It's growing aquatically! Well, emergent.

Jar Jar's guarding the N. ventricosa Madja As

N. albomarginata is accelerating.

Drosera adelae

N. Viing x truncata. TOUGH pitchers.

N. ampullaria spotted

N. morganiana

N. viking, I think. It could be sp. Trang, there are both in here.

K, gonna pause here, then get the rest in the next post.

OK, here are the rest.

Macodes petola

Vanilla planifolia varigated, climbing the walls.

Selaginella willdenowii, also climbing the walls.

N. platychila x veitchii, or is it the other way around?

Tillansias. If I remember I'll put their names in later.

T. duratii

The terrarium top has become a sort-of curio cabinet.

Wow! The first thing I noticed was the ramispina. Nice terrarium!

Great pics! JarJar seems to be showing great growth!

Back