After a recent failure with Heliamphora, I considered setting up a highland terrarium, but out it off. Today I was kind-of spontaneously (I had a week's warning, really) given a teeny little Heli. and some Utricularia quelchii. Oh, boy-- I gotta DO something, and keep these alive. I had an Exo Terra hinged door thing with a broken lid sitting around. No good for snakes, little Houdinis, but now it's perfect for a terrarium. I stuck some plastic cling wrap under the lid and snaked a thermometer probe through a provided portal before snapping on the lid, and then I misted the daylights out of every surface in there. I then dumped about four or so cups of RO water in the bottom and added a couple of up-turned plastic pots. I really need to get some of that plastic egg crate stuff. And now, the plants!
I have a little N. ramispina cutting that I can move into the terra, and I'll have to forage around out in the greenhouse to see what else belongs in there. (If anyone is adventurous enough to double-check my growlist, it'd be greatly appreciated!)
Oh, joy! I am now much better prepared for N. hamata, mikeii, HL veitchii, as many Helis as I can stuff in the little tank, as many Utrics as I can suction cup to the wall, and some orchids. Woo hoo!
[COLOR="#0000FF"]EDIT: 6/25/13 There have been several messages lately for me to change my lights. I invite my fellow TFers to finish the thread to the end before clicking the PM button. I spent quite a bit of money on the current set up, and have no intention of changing it, nor do I have the money. I like how it looks, and the lights are plenty strong enough -- I almost burned a couple lowland Nepenthes.
As you read, you will see the ups and downs of life through the condition of the plants. Feel free to fast forward through the sad parts. Post #50 on page five would be a good place to start./COLOR]