What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frankenstorm

I saw that on the news mcmcnair - pretty sure it's real.

Also, several years ago I saw a transformer explode and that's pretty much what it looked like, it sounded like a cannon going off and it was blinding.

that explosion didnt look good at all :0o:

it's real, it was just aired on cnn... knocked out the whole east village's power

Last edited:
I found an article just published about it. Not a station i've ever heard of but it could be real. http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-massive-transformer-explosion-coned-plant,0,7862608.story, Luca said he doesn't know, but he's doing fine, he was at a friends place and they're evacuating because the building caught fire. So aside from being wet he's fine. But I told him I'd tell you all he valiantly rescued his friends and family from a burning building.

NYC is under seige. so much flooding, i cant believe it

My thoughts and best wishes are there with you in the path of the Storm. Please use caution and come back to us here on tf!

Hope everyone makes it out ok.

Still unscathed here, but winds are picking up. Apparently truck drivers are having to pull over to avoid the risk of tipping.

Can't seem to find any updated path projections, but the best I've seen puts the eye of whatever storm is left right about on top of me on Thursday afternoon.

Power just came back. Finally lost it around 9:30. The winds were insane, trees in my yard were at 45 degree angles. Amazing.

Last edited:
Here is an intriguing departure from the usual "weather mapping" you see: http://hint.fm/wind/
This wouldn't work for me yesterday but did today --- very cool map! It's especially interesting now with the hurricane remnants controlling all winds in the east - wow!

Windy as hell here in Upstate NY, my phone service is acting weird, it cut out while I was calling home, but I still have power, though I'm pretty sure my place is missing siding/shingles.
Last night, the wind here was incredible. I kept opening the sliding door to the deck just to listen. The wind sounds were amazing - kind-of like an undulating freight train over our heads -- unlike anything I've heard before. Took a walk around this morning - we lost a big chunk of shingles near our chimney. While this stinks, there are millions (literally) who have much worse.

Was wondering how you where making out Ron.
Mainly the shingles for us. During the storm, we only lost power for short periods. Since it happened a few times, we shut off TV and associated equipment as well as computers. We finished watching a movie on our laptop. Although our utility has one of the worst reputations for outages, we've been incredibly fortunate during our tenure here (>15 years) with only a few outages over an hour or two and last night was probably less than a minute cumulatively -- amazing.

NYC is under seige. so much flooding, i cant believe it
Last night I saw a pic of seawater flowing on the Freedom Tower site (old world trade center). If that was real, they're going to have some serious issues.

Good luck to everyone.

Last night I saw a pic of seawater flowing on the Freedom Tower site (old world trade center). If that was real, they're going to have some serious issues.

Good luck to everyone.

Yeah it seems to me like the underbelly of NYC should be pretty porous with old train lines and sewers and the like. I'm guessing sandbagging a building here or there didn't really help because I assume the water just welled up from having sunk down in other places.

Wow, I just can't believe the damage.

It was all hyped up here for nothing, we had some wind, the power didn't go out. My internet got kind of shaky around 2 this morning and my cell phone service is still poor, nobody can hear me on it.

Wow, I just can't believe the damage. It was all hyped up here for nothing, ...
Here, the hype was apparently appropriate. As I posted above, we kept all utilities through the storm but then lost cable & DSL the afternoon after the storm. In addition, nearby cell towers also got hit since our local signal went from max to sometimes registering 1 bar (but usually no service). The power blipped on Thursday and the DSL came back on (cable still out). While it was very odd to be without any form of news/info, it's hard to complain when others nearby lost all utilities and based on a quick drive around - it looks like they may be out for a while (many broken trees in roads, on powerlines, powerlines on ground, etc). In fact our neighbor across the street is acting like a boarding house for all of their relatives whose homes are without power (yikes!).

We were north of the eye, which due to rotation gets the main chunk of high wind damage. It was quite odd - before & during storm we had minimal rain - just high winds (which were very impressive btw). We lost some trees on the back side of our lot in addition to the shingles I mentioned originally.

One of the unanticipated hits has been the lack of gasoline availability. So - even if people have a backup generator, unless they somehow had significant stockpiles of fuel, they were out-of-luck. Very odd seeing all these stations with signs saying "No Gas". For us, it just impacts ability to travel - which is a luxury we don't need now anyway. My wife works at a large pharmaceutical company & they have been closed all week. Lots of people still without power - quite a few in places that don't even appear outwardly to have much damage (in addition to the areas that look horrible).

A year or two ago, I remember reading an article listing cities vulnerable to weather & NYC was near the top. While I don't think this is the one, it was similar and eerily prescient.

My heart goes out to all who have suffered...

I live in an area that is frequently hit with tornados/ice storms.... have been without power many times and for about 10 days some years back during an ice storm.
You do learn to prepare a little after it hits home a couple times... Ive been hit 3 times with 3 foot diameter trees in my house, on top of my house.... etc.

Now I keep a coleman cook stove, coleman lantern (both old style that can burn coleman fuel or unleaded gas), a 20,000BTU wick style kerosene heater, hand crank radio and flashlight, a small 800w generator, chainsaws and an older cheap phone that gets all its power from the land line.

I cannot recommend this little genny enough. It is just bearly big enough to run my fridge... so when needed I run the fridge for a few hours then swap out to the television/lights/UPS system (I have UPS system on aquarium filters that can run them for 8-10 hrs on a full charge I guess)
As Ron mentioned, generators are useless if you have no fuel.... in this case bigger is not better unless you've got the fuel to feed it.... think small, portable and economical.

This small generator can run for 8 hours or so (intermittent loading) on one gallon of 2 cycle mix... Anything bigger would be more fuel hungry and rarely be utilized at 100% loading; when fuel is difficult to buy, every gallon counts....

If you sign up on their mailing list and watch, it frequently goes on sale for 79 to 89$ with coupon.
Life is so much easier if your not cold nor hungry and a lttle radio or tele does wonders.

Good to hear our membership is all ok and damage was minimal.... I was wondering about ya Ron

Unfortunately, I believe that weather extremes are now the new norm...

(caveat, with small, economy generators... do not run delicate electronics at the same time as heavy loads such as a fridge. When the fridge compressor cycles off... the generator rpm will surge for just a moment and a voltage spike will occur. Run heavy loads by themselves...)

Last edited:
Wow, I just can't believe the damage.

It was all hyped up here for nothing, we had some wind, the power didn't go out. My internet got kind of shaky around 2 this morning and my cell phone service is still poor, nobody can hear me on it.

If they didn't hype it up, people would be saying the opposite... Id rather have all the hype and be prepared than the alternative.

Oh absolutely Drew, we are very far north in NY, almost on the Canadian border - I'm about 5 1/2 hours from NYC and all. We got wind, my cell phone coverage went out that evening while I was on the phone, but they sent kids home early from school, told us to stockpile, etc .

I finally heard from my friend that lives on Long Island, she's fine - I was right that cell phones were out, her home is still standing but she has no power. I'm glad to know she is safe, it made my day.

HOY! HOY! Glad to hear Y'all made it through the storm OK Ron.
I agree with Av8tor1, these types of random, and seemingly more powerful systems are now the norm.
And for all you conspiracy theorists out there.....it must be HAARP.

I'm 60 miles north of NYC. We were supposed to get worse than we did. Trees down and lately gas shortages even up here. Those in NYC and Jersey are in real bad shape as you all have seen on the news. HORRIBLE storm for those poor folks.

Kinda late to be checking in but we made it through with just a loss of power. My biggest issue was having to stay at work on Monday night due to the weather emergency. Although I do mainly reimbursment assessments and billing I am still a nurse manager at a nursing home. We never lost power there though.

Back