What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I totally know what I should do when pitchers form on my nepenthes...

lil stinkpot makes those!

You rang? :D

Yup, I make them, using the pitchers off my overproductive 12' N. ventrata. I'll also snag one or two off the x miranda if I'm feeling particularly evil, and the green alata is finally starting to produce pitchers again.

Here's a thread I started a while ago. I think I mentioned them elsewhere, not sure where. Maybe my pictures thread?

Anyways, the latest batch was for a BACPS potluck. They were so popular I didn't get one, LOL! Even Peter D'Amato liked them. :laaa: What I did that time was pre-soak the sushi (high gluten) rice in water overnight, and then half fill the pitchers with it. Tamp it down WITHOUT poking a hole in the pitcher! This step is HARD -- you WILL poke holes and curse a lot. Then arrange in the veggie steamer and top off with coconut milk. If there aren't enough to fill the steamer and keep everything upright, use bunched up foil to fill in the extra space. Steam for an hour, keeping a very close eye on the bottom water level. You will need to refill it a few times.

While I was doing that, I also cut some chicken breast strips and made Philippine adobo sauce. Equal parts soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar, with, oh, let's say one TBS crushed garlic per two cups finished liquid. Or whatever you want, really. Soak the chicken in the sauce up to overnight, but an hour will do. Fry the chicken in the liquid. When the dust has settled and all the fires put out, slice a pitcher rice cake in half lengthwise on your plate and drizzle/drench as much chicken and sauce as you want onto the rice. Don't forget to try some sauceless, the coconut makes it taste nice.

You rang? :D

Yup, I make them, using the pitchers off my overproductive 12' N. ventrata. I'll also snag one or two off the x miranda if I'm feeling particularly evil, and the green alata is finally starting to produce pitchers again.

Omg... you actually make these?? how do they taste?! I'm growing all my neps from seeds.. which hasn't even gotten here yet from indonesia (lol!) so for me to make these, it will be in about 2-3 years. T_T BUT I'm still hopeful!

... How do they taste by the way...? Ever tried making other recipes from it? like umm.. instead of banana leaf for sticky rice, you put it in a pitcher instead and steam it...?

I would recommend against buying from overseas, unless you have import permits. Just FYI.

They taste like banana leaves, which are kind of grassy. The coconut rice is sweet and savory and sticky. And, actually, that's is what I use, Nepenthes pitchers. I made both last time, just for the people that didn't want to eat a Nep.

It really is easier to grow Nepenthes from cuttings. ;) I bet know who you ordered the seeds from. Do note that he keeps them in the fridge, and for a while, so they might not be viable. I have a ventrata cutting already rooted -- it's been sitting and growing in a water bottle for a year now. That's the darndest thing. Want it? It's from the plant that I've been harvesting for the pitchers.

Last edited:
I would recommend against buying from overseas, unless you have import permits. Just FYI.

They taste like banana leaves, which are kind of grassy. The coconut rice is sweet and savory and sticky. And, actually, that's is what I use, Nepenthes pitchers. I made both last time, just for the people that didn't want to eat a Nep.

It really is easier to grow Nepenthes from cuttings. ;) I bet know who you ordered the seeds from. Do note that he keeps them in the fridge, and for a while, so they might not be viable. I have a ventrata cutting already rooted -- it's been sitting and growing in a water bottle for a year now. That's the darndest thing. Want it? It's from the plant that I've been harvesting for the pitchers.

Oh really? I've never bought stuff like this so I thought it was okay... oh man, I hope they do ship and pass the import stuff now...

WOW... Haha! Now I really want to try them! It would feel SOO much like a guilty pleasure though, since I really cannot imagine myself eating those beautiful pitchers... it's now like: "Miracles of nature... I'm shocked and amazed... and hungry... :0o: *chomp*

Yea, I read up on that too, but there're just so many varieties I want, and cuttings are so expensive to buy for a college student so... I thought I should go the economical way and try my luck. S/he sells the seeds in bulk quantities so I thought I'd give it a shot... plus the seller had positive reviews. I actually thought the seeds would be fresher though, since it IS right there in the country, you know? (Probably noob reasoning. Hahaha!) But well... for backup and desperate/safety measures, I bought gibberellic acid to help a bit. Don't know how that will go... but when I read around, they said soak seeds in 250-300 ppm concentration for roughly 24 hours or something for cp seeds and it will help them germinate, especially neps. I'm thinking of trying that: some soaked 24 hours, some soaked for 3-6 hours then just sprayed with that concentration every other day, with a flush of normal distilled water in between, some sowed without any treatment, etc etc. ...I'm worried now though, knowing that they're old seeds. :down:

Oh my.. really?? You don't know how much I would LOVE that. Umm... I feel bad that I have nothing to give you in return... except potentially non-viable seeds. :-)) ACTUALLY... I do have some coupons... *thinks*

Last edited:
E-mail me your address. The cutting has just been stiing there, and I'd rather give it away. It's not in the greatest shape, but should bounce back once it's in real soil.

This is something I really want to try! I asked you about it in your picture thread, but I have a few more questions. What pitchers are best? Right now I have a enough x miranda pitchers to harvest a few but they are large (over 7"). Do you think these would be too hard? What other varieties are good? And do I cut the lids off?

Shame on you for getting me started on these outrageous projects....

Ahhh, that's where I put the other comments. Thanks, duoeka. Tea, go browse that thread, "A Couple Pictures".

I wouldn't use miranda, they are too woody. use a pitcher that stays soft, like N. ventrata, ventricosa, alata, mirabilis (and its subs), amp., miranda, etc. Let your fingers tell you.

Okay, thanks! Seems like of the plants I grow, the best would be ventricosa and ventricosa x pectinata for pitcher softness and abundance. Do you only use brand new pitchers? And how about the lids?

Older pitchers get woody, and are more likely to catch prey and grow a host of symbiotic mites and other critters. I like to wait for the pitcher to harden up after opening, and when it is fully formed, cut it off, rinse the daylight s out of it, and store it in the freezer until I get a good crop. It is best to rip the lids off; they'll just fall off later, anyways.

Note: the pitchers will be soft after freezing, making them a little harder to stuff without poking holes. Have fun with that!

Just found this, sounds like there's several options for cooking rice with nepenthes! Just gotta stock up on pitchers...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polylepis/4081025781/in/photostream/

Hmmm, I should try adding black rice next time. That would add visual interest.

Back