Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Evaporative Cooler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guess im going to have to try this too , need some cooling in the coming summer now that im growing at work too .
    nice work, sundew

let us know how much air your getting it does seem a little shy of what you might need,what does the average cpu fan push.

(CFM ) whats this??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each of the two fans moves about 110 cubic feet per minute (CFM). They are plenty strong, as a 4' x 4' x 8' growtent is only 128 cubic feet in volume. But you can also use larger fans from Walmart or somewhere cheap if you would like more air. I liked this size though, because I will be able to use 5" aluminum ducts to guide the air.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now to keep Lil Stink's kitten out of it, somehow. Solve that, and I might build one.

Nice job, really! It's a cool build.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lil! lol I can imagine a kitten tearing apart the cooling pad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work. I would recommend against the pads unless you don't mind running through your RO water and can manage to design a small water pump.
    My attempt at a design like this last year didn't quite meet my expectations. I was either running through crazy amounts of DI water which I had to constantly re-fill or the minerals/sediments would very quickly clog my evaporative pads. Sponges didn't do the trick either.
    I think you'll find that even with only RO/DI water, the fans will evaporate the water off quicker than the pad can pull. Ideally a pump to water the pad from the top would be best but I ended up going with a mist maker/pond fogger.

Not saying this won't work for you but I can recommend other threads if you decide to change your setup. Let us know how this works out for you in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have this watering from the top, and I am currently using tap water for these tests. I don't want to buy distilled or RO water, so I use rain water, but that has too many microorganisms for it to be better than tap. I think that the minerals will be washed out of the pad as the water trickles down, but we will know in a few weeks. The pump is old and has worked in much worse conditions, so I'm not worried about it. And I think with a constant supply of water the pad should stay wet, although I can always turn off one fan if they pull too much air.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh my mistake, I should have looked at your last picture more carefully
    You should be fine in regards to the mineral build up then. Maybe occasionally having to replace the pad depending on your water's hardness. But with RO water that shouldn't be a concern.
    Regarding microoganisms, you can periodically add just a small amount of bleach to your water. I do this to mine to keep the algae and slime out. Good luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think I could use bleach for something like this, thanks for the advice! I'll let you know about the pad

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast