Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Evaporative Cooler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great Drew! I am a huge fan of anything DIY and cheap, so will definitly try something like this. A word of caution on the use of bleach though: in tiny amounts no problem, but the chlorine is fairly volitile and could harm you or your plants in such an effective evaporator like this if you use it "heavy handedly". Though I'm sure you've thought about this idea already. Gonna try this for sure though, so thanks for sharing!
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a home RO unit will help with refills. Fantastic plan; please post a video of it in action.
    The holes for the fans might work better if placed higher so there can be a larger reservoir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much! It was more the pad that I placed too low, I had assumed that the PVC tubing would take up more space above it. That's absolutely something someone could improve upon, there is the potential here for it to hold a ton of water. I appreciate the feedback!

I will make a video today

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool project drew... curious as to what your temperature differential ends up being.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Butch!

My sundew setup with light can heat up to about 80-85 with lights very close with the sides open. The lights will be enclosed in the HL setup, but farther from the plants. I may have to rig a weaker computer fan to suck out hot air during the day to keep it around 75, and then use the cooler to drop it 15 degrees overnight. But this is all estimation, I'll only know when I have the setup built, which isn't for another month.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is sort of like the "Aprilaire" humidifiers they sell for home humidification.
    In fact when using a pump to spread the water, one of Aprilaire's filters may work even better,
    as they have a coating that will help spread out the water without the calcium build-up preventing the water from moving all over the "filter".
    Although likely more expensive, they may work better. (But then, maybe not!)

The normal "absorbant" type "filters" draw up water from a water reservoir, and indeed can get blocked up with calcium to the point where they don't work well. Using one with water pouring over the top is a "different than designed" operation for this type of "filter", so it will be interesting to see how this works & how well it holds up in time. (The Aprilaire type is NOT absorbant & is simply a place for the water to form thin films whereby it can be more easily evaporated. Possibly not as well as an absorbant type, however they did think thru about having mineral build-up & it seems most will flake off the filter & end up in the bottom of the reservoir. What does remain on the filter can be rinsed off a bit & the filter re-used for a time.) In my experience, these filters last longer than the paper/absorbant type, however are indeed more costly. (I have had both types of humidifiers & had filter fouling with the paper type quite rapidly. But then our water is high in minerals.)

Glad to see people are trying to improve things for growing, as there is always room for improvement!
    So my congrats on the experimenting.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the comments!
    I wasn't aware there were other filters, but I guess we will just see with time how this one holds up. One that is not absorbant may in fact do better, I had never considered that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow great idea drew thanks for info.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast