What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divaskid's Plants

nice pics - the dog looks funny! :lol:

Is that a N. rafflesiana behind the dog in the pic? Love your pings, they look great!

Yup that's a N. rafflesiana!

Cp777: she is a funny looking dog. She's a Swedish Valhund, similar to corgis ;) she's a character, too smart for her own good.

nice pics.
Can we see the nepenthes greenhouse in it's entire glory? along with it's contents, if you feel like spoiling us..
love to see what's growing on in paradise.

Yay for butterworts! Love the gypsicola. Nice pics.

Thanks everyone :)

Mass: of course! Ill try and take pics of it tomorrow since I have the day off. It's actually more of a shade house than a greenhouse, but we still call them greenhouses here. Ill also take pics of the plants as well, but there really isn't too many anymore. In its glory days (before college years) the entire thing was full of nepenthes. I could barely walk around. Now I just have a handful, which I hope to remedy soon. Hmmm maybe I can find pictures from back then too. I'll check.

Ok, per request, here is the greenhouse. I tried to find pictures from back in its glory days, but couldn't find them anywhere, so these will have to do.
I do have to appologize though, the greenhouse is quite negelected right now, so its not too impressive. :blush:

This is the outside. It was built over a dogrun (which is why there is a brick area with a chainlink fence all the way around). The dog run is on the left and on the right is another area as well (the turtle cage is blocking that area now). On the fence I have some orchids and Spanish moss growing.
0CEEE79D-8235-4FC3-B037-491E083F3DD5-10512-00000BE7D86C824A.jpg

This is the inside of the right hand side of the green house. There's a grow bench and PVC pipes above for my nepenthes to hang from. All the greenhouse is watered by overhead sprinkler.
B8F986AD-BB41-4FC0-8474-34E3CE93F63A-10512-00000BE7C9464CAD.jpg

This is the inside of left hand side in the dogrun. Its very rundown from years of negelect. These are my last remaining plants. Before I had benches all along every wall and each was covered in nepenthes, so was above where they would hang from the rafters. I make myself sad just thinking about it. :cry:
691F1E33-1302-4694-81AD-B3B8D42B8E59-10512-00000BE7BD79E0C0.jpg

LOL anyway, hope you guys enjoyed! I've been having more and more free time so hopefully all my collection and greenhouse will get back up to speed soon and I'll post better pictures ;)

Last edited:
Ooo I'm excited, I found some older pictures of the greenhouse.

Wide angle of the greenhouse
DSC_0004-2.jpg

Wide angle from the other direction
DSC_0010-3.jpg

Holding up my wine bottle sized N. Miranda pitchers. Not sure why I'm not smiling ???
HPIM0610.jpg

:-0
That Miranda is a beauty!
---
Short of completeing a greenhouse, I might try for a nepenthes shadehouse next summer ;) I have the shadecloth at least.

must be nice only needing a shade house..

It won't take long before it get's filled up all over again. Welcome back to the addiction.
Everything looks great. Some of your old neps looked MASSIVE!!

I see in the wide angle shot that you had a huge truncata as well...Very nice! Why the downsize in plants, if I may ask?

Edit: ..or just neglect out of other priorities, as you seem to hint at?

Last edited:
It unfortunately wasn't a downsize on purpose. Life and college got the best of me and slowly but surely each one died on me over a course of about 10 years. The truncata was a very nice size one. I had him for about 5 years. I had two of them that size acutally, one male and one female.

Mass: Yup, pretty lucky to only need a shadehouse. It does come with its benefits, but also its downsides. I can't grow anything that needs dormancy or cool temps.

Aye, the curse of the transient college and early adulthood lifestyle... it plagues all too many of us... Sigh... I often wonder at the fate of my own collection, but I'm determined to hold onto as much as I can as long as possible ;) Hopefully fate will be kind to me. He He..

What's the range of relative humidity you experience there, or an average? 60% or so (daytime), I'm guessing?

I wish you much luck in keeping your collection. Sometimes its harder than it seems.

In my area we typically see between 50%-70% humidity

I wish you much luck in keeping your collection. Sometimes its harder than it seems.

Yeah, I've had to give up my whole collection twice in the past due to moving and lifestyle, etc. But I've never had a collection as extensive as it is now. In the future at most I think I would need to downsize though, not get rid of everything. At least I'll keep my most prized plants if push comes to shove.

Best of luck re-populating your shade house!

Holding up my wine bottle sized N. Miranda pitchers. Not sure why I'm not smiling ???
HPIM0610.jpg

Impressive N. miranda pitchers on such a nice plant. Your mouth may not be but your eyes are smiling.

Daily progress of the gemmae
7A46B3F2-2CAD-49B1-9761-32F209B74865-13111-00000E2568C1951D.jpg

Nice little growing area. If I can't maintain my N. boschiana once it reaches its full size I might send it to you, since you have the space for such a large plant. Luckily it's a baby right now.

Nice little growing area. If I can't maintain my N. boschiana once it reaches its full size I might send it to you, since you have the space for such a large plant. Luckily it's a baby right now.

Hopefully it won't get too big for you any time soon so you can enjoy it for many years. However if it does, I would happily accept it into the family! ;)
In the past before I had the greenhouse, I would just trim my neps and they would produce the off shoots. Once those off shoots got a little bigger I would completely trim off the others. Viola! smaller plant again. Not sure if this is reccomended, however it worked well for me.

Back