Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Political Phone Calls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had someone call me and ask whether I was gonna vote yes on the voter ID law.
    I asked "You mean that voter suppression thing? No I don't support that."
    Then she hung up on me, apparently not the answer she wanted cos usually those survey people go on and on.

I believe that Political and Charity (religious) telemarketers are exempt from the do not call list and are still allowed to bother you.
    Last edited by swords; 11-04-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I believe that Political and Charity (religious) telemarketers are exempt from the do not call list and are still allowed to bother you.
    There are some exemptions but those have not been my primary issue.

Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    I thankfully I have not gotten any telemarketer calls in well over a year since signing up for the do not call list.
    https://www.donotcall.gov/
    Wow! That's amazing to me. We've been on the list since it started. It mostly worked well for a while** until some idiots learned how to get around the rules.

Now, the bright ones use a prerecorded message, often involving refinancing or fixing your credit rating (typically some 'hot-button' subject that's in the media). Then they tell you to press one to talk to someone or 2 to disconnect or 3 to be removed from the list (or something similar). If you have caller ID, the number will be blocked. If you press one to talk to someone, they will never give you 1) a real phone number or 2) a real company name as the FCC requires one or both to report a company. If I ask for either, they quickly hang up. Apparently the FTC understands the problem but cannot fix it. They are now offering a reward to anyone who can.

I'm shocked that you don't have them calling you ... Some weeks I'll only get 3 or 4 calls for the whole week, however, the more usual frequency is 3-6 calls per day.

** in the early days after the 'Do not call list' was started, I remember a call from a lady selling replacement windows (or vinyl siding or some actual 'real' stuff). When I asked for the name of the business and a phone number to contact them (to order the work after I talked with my wife), there was a pause. Then she asked, do you want this information to turn us in or to really make an order? I busted out laughing (couldn't help it) & she hung up.
    Last edited by RL7836; 11-04-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Corrected FTC (was FCC - who knew?)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any charity,government agency,or political call is exempt from the do not call.
    Part of why we no longer have a landline.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The DNCL does not work as it should. My experience has been similar to Ron's, and my solution was to abandon the land line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12