43 64.18%

8 11.94%

35 52.24%

14 20.90%

11 16.42%

13 19.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The terraforums 2013 calendar contest voting thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    yeah too many in situ toothy nep photos for sure.
    BLASPHEMY!!
    I 100% disagree.. too many heli pics, not enough toothy neps.
    I do wish a ceph pic would've made it in the mix though. I'll agree with that complaint.
    Nevertheless, the public has spoken and we have our winners.
    Last edited by mass; 11-22-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was one VFT picture submitted and 2 Ceph pictures (same plant different angles) We passed the VFT and one of the Ceph down for TF voting. I voted for both- apparently there are a lot of people here that don't agree on calendar diversity as I look through who voted for what most people tended to vote for a specific genre and mix in a couple other things. Maybe we can figure out a way to fix that for the 2014 calendar....I have a few ideas, but for that to work, we need more people to submit pictures of those plants! So over the next year make sure you are taking high res. photos of all Genre not just your fave so we can get a more diverse calendar next year. Once things calm down a bit we can start discussing some ideas in another thread while it is on our mind.
    As far as Jeremiah getting so many pictures in... He submitted up to 5 just like everyone else and his pictures were voted in by you guys, the voting public.

All that said, I want to thank Jon for the amazing graphics work- I think they look amazing... I love that cover!

Andrew

PS- I wish one of my photos would have even made it past the first panel.. not that I could compete with these winners... but to have been in the running would have been nice. LOL
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @upwhiz, whimgrinder, and mylesG, I totally agree with you in regards to diversity being lacking. What the judging panel did was take the best of the best and presented them before the community, a hybrid of previous calendars (exclusive panel the first time, public voting the second). Once we went into the second phase of community voting, which photos make it is entirely up to the community and out of our hands. As you can see, we had an assortment of drosera, sarracenia, cephalotus, and vft-- all decently composed that the community decided to look over in favor of Holy Grail Neps. No Byblis or droso pictures were submitted. So to echo what Andrew said, please take photos plenty ahead of time for the next calendar so you can capture images of your plants at their best, and in the meantime we will try and devise a way to diversify the calendar and have community participation.
    Last edited by amphirion; 11-22-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I really dont know what everyone is complaining about here... We, the members of this forum, make this calendar happen. Its up to us to take the photos, and to vote on what gets put into the calendar. This year, everyone voted on the nepenthes photos and not on the others. LOL. Im kinda sad no one else voted on the ceph or other sundews but we cant change how it turned out now. heh. I think the calendar looks awesome and has alot of great photos, definitely the best one yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The losing pics were not at all over-looked in my opinion.. considering every pic entered got at least 7 votes.

The pics that won, won for a reason.
    My best guess would be the content (cause wild neps rock), and lack of visible pots.
    If you want your pics to win, make it look as natural as possible.
    In situ seems to be the theme with winning the votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thinking shouldn't have put so many of one members photos up for public vote .
    We HADto vote on what was put up.
    Never got to see what was out there. ie private email address .we only got to choose from what was chosen??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy, I'm sorry you are feeling this way. The reason why we chose the route we did was to first help make the calendar the highest quality possible (which I believe it is, despite the heavy skew towards Neps) while encouraging community participation. If you thought this year's calendar was broke, last years only had 4 members represented iirc. There was a reason why we chose the email route as this would help prevent voter bias towards popular members and focus on the quality of the photographs themselves. That being said, since the voting process is over, I will be glad to reveal all the submissions along side their submitters.

also a problem arose when having too many entries--we had a 6 way tie for last place which delayed the calendar release. by narrowing down the entries, we had an easier time determining the top 12 and no additional voting events were necessary.
    Last edited by amphirion; 11-22-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uphwiz View Post
    Never got to see what was out there. ie private email address .we only got to choose from what was chosen??
    I actually complained about the private vote way back when.
    and it seemed at the time that I was the only one that cared.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast