What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The terraforums 2013 calendar contest voting thread!

Select 12 pictures for the 2013 calendar

Votes: 25 37.3%

Votes: 40 59.7%

Votes: 27 40.3%

Votes: 7 10.4%

Votes: 24 35.8%

Votes: 32 47.8%

Votes: 29 43.3%

Votes: 11 16.4%

Votes: 35 52.2%

Votes: 18 26.9%

Votes: 32 47.8%

Votes: 8 11.9%

Votes: 31 46.3%

Votes: 13 19.4%

Votes: 15 22.4%

Votes: 12 17.9%

Votes: 26 38.8%

Votes: 12 17.9%

Votes: 15 22.4%

Votes: 7 10.4%

Votes: 26 38.8%

Votes: 21 31.3%

Votes: 19 28.4%

Votes: 17 25.4%

Votes: 43 64.2%

Votes: 8 11.9%

Votes: 14 20.9%

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yeah too many in situ toothy nep photos for sure.

BLASPHEMY!!
I 100% disagree.. too many heli pics, not enough toothy neps.
I do wish a ceph pic would've made it in the mix though. I'll agree with that complaint.
Nevertheless, the public has spoken and we have our winners.

Last edited:
There was one VFT picture submitted and 2 Ceph pictures (same plant different angles) We passed the VFT and one of the Ceph down for TF voting. I voted for both- apparently there are a lot of people here that don't agree on calendar diversity as I look through who voted for what most people tended to vote for a specific genre and mix in a couple other things. Maybe we can figure out a way to fix that for the 2014 calendar....I have a few ideas, but for that to work, we need more people to submit pictures of those plants! So over the next year make sure you are taking high res. photos of all Genre not just your fave so we can get a more diverse calendar next year. Once things calm down a bit we can start discussing some ideas in another thread while it is on our mind.
As far as Jeremiah getting so many pictures in... He submitted up to 5 just like everyone else and his pictures were voted in by you guys, the voting public.

All that said, I want to thank Jon for the amazing graphics work- I think they look amazing... I love that cover!

Andrew

PS- I wish one of my photos would have even made it past the first panel.. not that I could compete with these winners... but to have been in the running would have been nice. LOL

@upwhiz, whimgrinder, and mylesG, I totally agree with you in regards to diversity being lacking. What the judging panel did was take the best of the best and presented them before the community, a hybrid of previous calendars (exclusive panel the first time, public voting the second). Once we went into the second phase of community voting, which photos make it is entirely up to the community and out of our hands. As you can see, we had an assortment of drosera, sarracenia, cephalotus, and vft-- all decently composed that the community decided to look over in favor of Holy Grail Neps. No Byblis or droso pictures were submitted. So to echo what Andrew said, please take photos plenty ahead of time for the next calendar so you can capture images of your plants at their best, and in the meantime we will try and devise a way to diversify the calendar and have community participation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really dont know what everyone is complaining about here... We, the members of this forum, make this calendar happen. Its up to us to take the photos, and to vote on what gets put into the calendar. This year, everyone voted on the nepenthes photos and not on the others. LOL. Im kinda sad no one else voted on the ceph or other sundews but we cant change how it turned out now. heh. I think the calendar looks awesome and has alot of great photos, definitely the best one yet.

The losing pics were not at all over-looked in my opinion.. considering every pic entered got at least 7 votes.

The pics that won, won for a reason.
My best guess would be the content (cause wild neps rock), and lack of visible pots.
If you want your pics to win, make it look as natural as possible.
In situ seems to be the theme with winning the votes.

Just thinking shouldn't have put so many of one members photos up for public vote .
We HADto vote on what was put up.
Never got to see what was out there. ie private email address .we only got to choose from what was chosen??

Jimmy, I'm sorry you are feeling this way. The reason why we chose the route we did was to first help make the calendar the highest quality possible (which I believe it is, despite the heavy skew towards Neps) while encouraging community participation. If you thought this year's calendar was broke, last years only had 4 members represented iirc. There was a reason why we chose the email route as this would help prevent voter bias towards popular members and focus on the quality of the photographs themselves. That being said, since the voting process is over, I will be glad to reveal all the submissions along side their submitters.

also a problem arose when having too many entries--we had a 6 way tie for last place which delayed the calendar release. by narrowing down the entries, we had an easier time determining the top 12 and no additional voting events were necessary.

Last edited:
Never got to see what was out there. ie private email address .we only got to choose from what was chosen??

I actually complained about the private vote way back when.
and it seemed at the time that I was the only one that cared.

Im in now way angry just hoping for a better method.
I do understand the quality issue but Im still sure there are more high quality pic that we did not see.
Now when can i get my three calendars.
I realy like all two past , and this one will be great as well congrats to a great new year calendar completion

Voting over? Let's see!

Oh woohoo I just saw that layout you did in the last page amphypoodles - next year's calendar is gonna be awesome!! Thanks for making it happen so I have somewhere to write in that next BACPS meet :awesome:

here are submissions, all rights belong to their respective owners:
adnedarn:
N. rafflesiana, P. moctezumae
55.png

amphirion:
D. slackii
51.png

D. roraimae/ U. quelchii
38.png

U. campbelliana
53.png

U. graminifolia
64.png

H. glabra
04.png

av8tor1:
H. elongata x ionasii
66.png

Heliamphora
22.png

brie:
D. regia
65.png

H. pulchella
58.png

P. gypsicola
45.png

D. allantostigma
09.png

P. cyclosecta
08.png

chibae:
S. 'Dixie Lace'
24.png

crissytal:
S. alata x oreophilla
70.png

S. rubra
54.png

D. sp "chimanimani mountains"
11.png

N. macrophylla
71.png

devon:
D. admirabillis
68.png

D. anglica
67.png

D. x anglica CA x HI x Lantau Island
62.png

D. roseana
59.png

D. x tokaiensis x lantau island
57.png

Jeremiah Harris
N. villosa
35.png

N. lowii
26.png

N. attenboroughii
20.png

N. edwardsiana
18.png

N. macrophylla
12.png

lance:
various Nep species and hybrids
iaza11297728575300_3169x2448_5115x2870.jpg

kulamauiman:
D. menziesii var menziesii
32.png

The field of screams
29.png

D. graomogolensis
19.png

D. falconeri
10.png

D. whitteraki
05.png

lil hokie
S. x Diana's Delight
33.png

S. leucophylla
40.png

VFTs
37.png

lilstinkpot:
S. purp. Apalachicola x leuc. Hot Pink
17.png

S. unknown hybrid
42.png

U. graminifolia
60.png

Last edited:
mcmcnair:
S. flava
31.png

S. flava
15.png

VFT
25.png

Assorted species
14.png

nep fan:
N. epphipiata
43.png

notanumber:
D. calistos
69.png

D. falconeri
41.png

S. leucophylla
47.png

S. 'John's Autumnal Splendor'
28.png

D. heloides
06.png

peatmoss:
N. ventricosa x robcantleyi
49.png

S. purpurea
07.png

01.png

sundrew:
N. rafflesiana
34.png

D. capillaris
02.png

thez_yo:
N. platychilla
46.png

S. purpurea montana
21.png

uphwiz:
N. albimarginata "red"
44.png

N. lady pauline
27.png

13.png

S. 'Lovebug'
23.png

16.png

whimgrinder:
Cephalotus follicularis
48.png

36.png

N. 'Lady Pauline'
52.png

N. ventricosa x spectabilis
50.png

N. tiveyi
39.png

wireman:
P. cyclosecta
63.png

N. glabrata
61.png

S. flava var rugelii
56.png

S. purpurea
30.png

D. roseana
03.png

Very nice job Jon..... I think its awesome, and I am honored to have a couple selected.

Last year I dont think there were any helis, so I am honored to help represent the genus this year.
Not all the ones I thought should have won did, but that is ok too... If they had, it would have been Av's calendar :)

Jon, thank you for the hard work and putting up with the masses. Andy, thanks for making this possible... Membership, thanks for some sweet photographs.

Kudos to all involved.

It's official..
My vote would've been completely different, HAD we seen all of the entries.
Some of those pics are fantastic. I'm a little upset we didn't even get to see them..
wireman, mcmcnair, kulamauiman, and nepfan.. you now have my unofficial votes. sorry guys..

I personally think the selections were well done. The photos that were chosen all have a nice composition or style, sharpness, backgrounds, etc, and there were still plenty to choose from. Just my opinion anyway. :)

It's official..
My vote would've been completely different, HAD we seen all of the entries.
Some of those pics are fantastic. I'm a little upset we didn't even get to see them..
wireman, mcmcnair, kulamauiman, and nepfan.. you now have my unofficial votes. sorry guys..

You mean "Had I", while some of my votes did not win... you do not speak for me. Public remarks like this do no one any good Travis.... please take this private and do not assume you speak for everone.

You have complained about every vote ever taken, time to get over it.... its getting old.

You mean "Had I", while some of my votes did not win... you do not speak for me. Public remarks like this do no one any good Travis.... please take this private and do not assume you speak for everone.

You have complained about every vote ever taken, time to get over it.... its getting old.

Thanks for editing your comment. I can make this a little sweeter now..

You're right, I misspoke and did mean "had I", since I only ever speak on behalf of myself.
I complain because it's necessary. If it didn't, we'd still be dealing with swayed voting systems around here. For starters..
The style of sit back and do nothing may work for you, but it's not me.
So I'll get over it when I'm good and ready. Or until the problems are resolved.. whichever comes first.

If Andrew wants my calender money, I feel I have the right to express some opinions first. No?

I suggest that for next year we have an outside photographer and/or artist select the entries.

Back