What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The terraforums 2013 calendar contest voting thread!

Select 12 pictures for the 2013 calendar

Votes: 25 37.3%

Votes: 40 59.7%

Votes: 27 40.3%

Votes: 7 10.4%

Votes: 24 35.8%

Votes: 32 47.8%

Votes: 29 43.3%

Votes: 11 16.4%

Votes: 35 52.2%

Votes: 18 26.9%

Votes: 32 47.8%

Votes: 8 11.9%

Votes: 31 46.3%

Votes: 13 19.4%

Votes: 15 22.4%

Votes: 12 17.9%

Votes: 26 38.8%

Votes: 12 17.9%

Votes: 15 22.4%

Votes: 7 10.4%

Votes: 26 38.8%

Votes: 21 31.3%

Votes: 19 28.4%

Votes: 17 25.4%

Votes: 43 64.2%

Votes: 8 11.9%

Votes: 14 20.9%

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fully noted wireman. We actually discussed this as a possibility but were unable to arange the logistics due to time constraints. Someone such as Barry Rice and/or Fernando Rivadavia could have been possibilities...

I apologize. this got way out of hand..

I just wanted to see all of the entries.
said.. and done..
still REALLY looking forward to the calender release. Jon did a great job putting it together.

I do have to admit that I also saw some entries, not my own, that I would have voted for had they all been posted for the poll. I'm looking forward to purchasing my calendar again this year.

I think you guys did a great job! But there are several pics that were not listed before that I would of def voted for over what was shown.

Thanks for editing your comment. I can make this a little sweeter now..

You're right, I misspoke and did mean "had I", since I only ever speak on behalf of myself.
I complain because it's necessary. If it didn't, we'd still be dealing with swayed voting systems around here. For starters..
The style of sit back and do nothing may work for you, but it's not me.
So I'll get over it when I'm good and ready. Or until the problems are resolved.. whichever comes first.

If Andrew wants my calender money, I feel I have the right to express some opinions first. No?

My style is to speak with the person in private concerning such matters... which I had already done prior to your public comments.
That is the style that works for me....

I wouldn't blame Jon nor Andy for not doing this again.... and that would be a terrible loss to our community.

And no need to make it sweeter, just take it to PM mate... I'm a big boy

My last public statement on the matter.... and my apologies to the TF community. Most know this is not my style

I think that the calendar turned out very nicely. It is my belief that the plants featured do not matter very much, as long as, holistically, the calendar represents the hobby all of us are passionate about. Jon, the layout and editing is fantastic! I'm honored to have my picture be a part of it.

I look forward to the calendars and hope to send a few unsuspecting family members a copy. Thanks guys!
:bigthumpup:

@chibae, kinjie: i understand your disappointment for not being able to vote for certain photos, i truly do, but from the vibes i am getting from other members, i feel that there needs to be a few misconceptions regarding the judging panel and the pre-selection process that need to be cleared.

first of all-- amphirion =/= the judging panel. there was a total of four of us, and we did not pull photos based on a member's popularity or status within the community. rather on the contrary, I was the only sole individual who knew both the photos and the members they belonged to--no one else on the panel did. the photos passed through me, and i gave them a random number as their designation--then the photos were presented to the remaining judges. this was to ensure anonymity and that the judges could judge solely on the quality and composition of the photos rather than be swayed by the name attached with the photo. (and a WONDERFUL job, they did)

each judge had the power to cast a vote for each and as many photos that they wanted to see go pass the preliminary round, meaning, a judge could chose all 72, or he/she could chose only 2 if wished.

each photo needed at least 2 votes cast for it to advance to the next round. evidently that gave us the 36 which you voted from.

so as you can see, we totally agree with you in that there are some submissions that should have advanced towards the next round. however, through checks and balances between judges, the number of qualified entries were reduced. what one judge perceived as qualified, 3 others did not. this is why many submissions did not make it past the preliminaries.

i hope through this, you as a community, can see that we as judges did everything we could to make this a FAIR and yet high quality calendar. and i sincerely believe we did that. this is by far the best calendar that TF has ever produced...and it was because of the community--you guys made this all possible. you guys gave us your best, we wanted to give you back the best...

Sounds pretty fair to me. The calendar is going to look awesome!!! I wish there was a planner as well. I use planners more than the big calendars.

can you show the 2012 TF calender pages? or is there a buried thread for it? would like to see this jump in quality :)

I have 3 family members so far who have asked for the calendar for christmas. LOL. Cant wait til they're available.

thanks amp!

very interesting :) way more closeups compared to this year's. i like it though

My style is to speak with the person in private concerning such matters...

So why the exception for me?
you did after all publically state that my opinion is tiring and should be kept to myself.
Should I feel honored by your hypocritical outburst towards me?
Probably better to have made that comment in a PM, especially since it was towards someone as controversial as myself.

@chibae, kinjie: i understand your disappointment for not being able to vote for certain photos, i truly do, but from the vibes i am getting from other members, i feel that there needs to be a few misconceptions regarding the judging panel and the pre-selection process that need to be cleared.

first of all-- amphirion =/= the judging panel. there was a total of four of us, and we did not pull photos based on a member's popularity or status within the community. rather on the contrary, I was the only sole individual who knew both the photos and the members they belonged to--no one else on the panel did. the photos passed through me, and i gave them a random number as their designation--then the photos were presented to the remaining judges. this was to ensure anonymity and that the judges could judge solely on the quality and composition of the photos rather than be swayed by the name attached with the photo. (and a WONDERFUL job, they did)

each judge had the power to cast a vote for each and as many photos that they wanted to see go pass the preliminary round, meaning, a judge could chose all 72, or he/she could chose only 2 if wished.

each photo needed at least 2 votes cast for it to advance to the next round. evidently that gave us the 36 which you voted from.

so as you can see, we totally agree with you in that there are some submissions that should have advanced towards the next round. however, through checks and balances between judges, the number of qualified entries were reduced. what one judge perceived as qualified, 3 others did not. this is why many submissions did not make it past the preliminaries.

i hope through this, you as a community, can see that we as judges did everything we could to make this a FAIR and yet high quality calendar. and i sincerely believe we did that. this is by far the best calendar that TF has ever produced...and it was because of the community--you guys made this all possible. you guys gave us your best, we wanted to give you back the best...

I have no doubts as to the fairness of your system, i am only saying that my personal choices differed.

Are there more than two pictures on the new calendar, that a judge entered?

You wouldnt enter a picture you did not think was good enough to be on the calendar.

I think it would be way better, if we are to use this method next year, for all judges to have no entries, and yes i will offer myself
as a judge. but even at then the judges here (including me) are probably older members to the forum, so most of them are very familiar with some of the photography of some of the members , so that would still be unfair.

No One Should Judge a Competition They Are Entering. Right ?? anybody?

So im hoping next year we can cut out the judge panel and , we will all get to see all entries and pick from them , there are more than a few people here that can pick out high quality pictures.

As far as the new calendar being the best , YES the best cover in three years, but i doubt the the interior is going to over whelm the other two.
I like to see plants more isolated, white or other solid color backgrounds, that is why I entered what I entered. And why that is why i would have chosen from those types of pictures.

Yes it is just my opinion , but there should not be more than one picture, for each member on a calendar, i know there is some very beautiful photography on this calendar, but there were other entries just as nice.
I like the natural settings , but more variety next time please.:blush:

again thank you very much ampirion for your very hard work on the calendar, I do realize I could not even begin to take this project on i hope you are getting a little compensation for you efforts, it does look great.

and please dont take this personally, im just looking for a fairer way for next year.

I have read every word here, and am very sorry, to all involved in this.:blush:
You dont need to defend yourself you really did a great job.:-D

Look. I get that everyone is disappointed that they did not get to choose the pictures that they wanted. That's fine.

I do have issue with criticizing Jon for entering the contest even though he was one of the judges. He was actually considering not entering the competition, but I and a few others encouraged him to do so in the chatbox. As he stated, two votes were required for the pictures to pass on to the next round, so even if he was corrupt and specifically chose his own images, he still would have needed another vote to pass on.

I very much doubt that any of the pictures being bumped out were due to the "corruptness" of the judges, and only to the quality of the images themselves. I spend a lot of time on this forum looking at photos, and I think I have come to an understanding of what creates an "outstanding" image of a carnivorous plant. The images selected by the judges were of an outstanding quality. And although my votes would have maybe been different had there been more photos present, I don't really think this matters in the long run.

This happens every time there is a voting process on TF, someone takes issue, everyone freaks out. It is getting to a point at which there are going to stop being little perks like this. And that would suck...

Jon, Andrew, et al, thanks for your work on the calendar. I am tickled to be selected for one of the pages, and I very much look forward to getting my copy.

Gabriel

Yep can t wait to get mine too.:-D

No One Should Judge a Competition They Are Entering. Right ?? anybody?

I'm in agreement on this point. However, I also firmly believe that those who own/generate a project can set whatever rules they want, it is my choice to participate or not if I don't like the terms. I'm not suggesting that there was any favoritism or bias as a result, but it would have been a given if it were my choice to request that judges choose to either judge entries, or submit one, but not both.

A comment: I think there should have been a rule that states that no one individual can "win" more than two slots (out of twelve) on the calendar. I do not wish to suggest that Jeremiah's photos were not worthy, that is not the case at all; those in situ images are extremely inspiring for obvious reasons and its no mystery why they were favored. But when there are only twelve spaces to select for, it might be be better not to let one contributor take a full one-quarter of the calendar, in fairness to the scores of other selections available.

Something to consider: many calendars are designed to include a 13th image as a cover image, rather than a collage of the 12 found inside, in order to include one more picture. As there were so many great photos to choose from, any opportunity to include more than the standard 12 would be icing on the cake for buyers of the product, IMO. Just an idea, of course; feel free to disregard.

I have spent most of my adult life as a photographer, artist and designer, and I have seen this time and time again: design by committee is not an ideal approach to art direction processes. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Congratulations to those whose work was chosen for the project. There were, however, many superb images submitted that were at least as good as the twelve that were selected. The graphic design of the calendar looks very good indeed, kudos to the designer.

Please note that none of my comments are to be taken in any way as critical of Andrew or the people involved in the production of the calendar. That said, I would like to think that, as adults, we can engage in "post mortem" dialog to examine the merits and shortcomings of the democratic process employed in the project, without anyone getting upset or hurt. Nobody should take any of this personally, and I hope nobody will comment in such a way as to attempt to cause upset or hurt feelings.

Last year a 13th image was used as the cover, lets be honest... Nobody looks at the cover for a month- so we just used photos for the inside. I personally like the collage on the cover. One thing you guys probably didn't realize is that the day the contest was posted... Was the same day that Zu said to me: "Will there be a TF calendar this year?" We had not even thought about it.... I contacted Jon and said WAZZAH BUDDY!??? And that night we busted out this new format and put it out there. I think I'm going to put on the calendar this year a date... to remind us it's time to start doing the calendar stuff- I may even put a reminder each month for people to take pictures for the calendar. :D
Also, as far as Jon entering photos.... None of the other judges knew which were his, and he didn't vote on his own. Which made his making it into the calendar even more difficult since two of the three other judges needed to put a pass on his pictures. I think that is plenty of a precautionary measure for someone to enter their own photo into the contest. I had ALREADY voted, and I asked him which were his... and he still wouldn't tell me. 'nuff said.

Andrew

PS I also encouraged Jon to enter his photos when he said he would not using the same reason I post to you all above.

Last edited:
Back