What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The terraforums 2013 calendar contest voting thread!

Select 12 pictures for the 2013 calendar

Votes: 25 37.3%

Votes: 40 59.7%

Votes: 27 40.3%

Votes: 7 10.4%

Votes: 24 35.8%

Votes: 32 47.8%

Votes: 29 43.3%

Votes: 11 16.4%

Votes: 35 52.2%

Votes: 18 26.9%

Votes: 32 47.8%

Votes: 8 11.9%

Votes: 31 46.3%

Votes: 13 19.4%

Votes: 15 22.4%

Votes: 12 17.9%

Votes: 26 38.8%

Votes: 12 17.9%

Votes: 15 22.4%

Votes: 7 10.4%

Votes: 26 38.8%

Votes: 21 31.3%

Votes: 19 28.4%

Votes: 17 25.4%

Votes: 43 64.2%

Votes: 8 11.9%

Votes: 14 20.9%

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last year a 13th image was used as the cover, lets be honest... Nobody looks at the cover for a month- so we just used photos for the inside. I personally like the collage on the cover. One thing you guys probably didn't realize is that the day the contest was posted... Was the same day that Zu said to me: "Will there be a TF calendar this year?" We had not even thought about it.... I contacted Jon and said WAZZAH BUDDY!??? And that night we busted out this new format and put it out there. I think I'm going to put on the calendar this year a date... to remind us it's time to start doing the calendar stuff- I may even put a reminder each month for people to take pictures for the calendar. :D
Also, as far as Jon entering photos.... None of the other judges knew which were his, and he didn't vote on his own. Which made his making it into the calendar even more difficult since two of the three other judges needed to put a pass on his pictures. I think that is plenty of a precautionary measure for someone to enter their own photo into the contest. I had ALREADY voted, and I asked him which were his... and he still wouldn't tell me. 'nuff said.

Andrew

Fair enough. As I said, its your sandbox, and your rules. :) If you believe it ain't broke, then there's nothing to fix.

On a humorous note:

Last edited:
Well, we definitely don't have time to even modify it this year if we wanted to... I want to submit the calendar today to get the printing started and Jon, is out of time to help with the graphics stuff. To add a 13th we'd have to hold another poll since 13th place was a 3 way tie. It's not that I'm not listening to you guys with the "I am god of this domain" mindset. :p

@chibae, kinjie: i understand your disappointment for not being able to vote for certain photos, i truly do, but from the vibes i am getting from other members, i feel that there needs to be a few misconceptions regarding the judging panel and the pre-selection process that need to be cleared.

first of all-- amphirion =/= the judging panel. there was a total of four of us, and we did not pull photos based on a member's popularity or status within the community. rather on the contrary, I was the only sole individual who knew both the photos and the members they belonged to--no one else on the panel did. the photos passed through me, and i gave them a random number as their designation--then the photos were presented to the remaining judges. this was to ensure anonymity and that the judges could judge solely on the quality and composition of the photos rather than be swayed by the name attached with the photo. (and a WONDERFUL job, they did)

each judge had the power to cast a vote for each and as many photos that they wanted to see go pass the preliminary round, meaning, a judge could chose all 72, or he/she could chose only 2 if wished.

each photo needed at least 2 votes cast for it to advance to the next round. evidently that gave us the 36 which you voted from.

so as you can see, we totally agree with you in that there are some submissions that should have advanced towards the next round. however, through checks and balances between judges, the number of qualified entries were reduced. what one judge perceived as qualified, 3 others did not. this is why many submissions did not make it past the preliminaries.

i hope through this, you as a community, can see that we as judges did everything we could to make this a FAIR and yet high quality calendar. and i sincerely believe we did that. this is by far the best calendar that TF has ever produced...and it was because of the community--you guys made this all possible. you guys gave us your best, we wanted to give you back the best...

I think you guys did a fine job! I am not upset on how it turned out and I apologize if it came off as complaining. Just wanted to say there was also other great photos that were not an option:). There is always next year and always room for improvent in everything we do.

On a humorous note:

too true! :-))
i am also a fan of avoiding "design by committee." just let me do my work! but then again, more often than not, the client ends up being my "design by committee". what the client wants is what they want and good customer service dictates.... :lol:
bite the bullet... bite the bullet. :p

Since I didn't enter any pics, I'm speaking as a purely unbiased consumer stating a simple opinion..

I really like the collage cover page rather than using a 13th pic.

too true! :-))
i am also a fan of avoiding "design by committee." just let me do my work! but then again, more often than not, the client ends up being my "design by committee". what the client wants is what they want and good customer service dictates.... :lol:
bite the bullet... bite the bullet. :p

This is a particularly insightful essay on the subject; recommended reading!

:cry: all I asked is if my URLs could be added somewhere. :blush: lol

Funny though, I hope I've never been that difficult as being a non-creative I guess those would define me. :p

no you havent! and what you are asking for is reasonable. you've never asked me to add kittens, use comic sans, and lens flares. that speaks volumes!

Ohhhhh. Lens flare!! That sounds exciting and would draw in the young folks!!! Hehe

We could have used Comic Sans?!?!?! AND kittens? Gawd, I wish! (NOT)

What's lens flare?

I think Jimmy agrees with us, NO lens flare. heh

I got the calendars ordered! I think... maybe I should set up the store for preorders?

yes please , id like three .
yes the flares would be a bit much. LOL

Don't pick on my Favorite Font

Now as to whether a judge should also submit an entry in the competition. The easiest way is to have one, non-enterant,be the judgeing foreman. He or she receives all of the images and distributes them to the judges making sure that no judge gets their own picture to vote on.

As to the cover, since as Da Boss sid, no one looks at the cover a whole lot, that can be a collage of images not chosen for the calendar innards.

Finally, maybe we should add a section to the forum for photography and online peer critiques and helpfull tips, not just a pic of the day or a POTM contest.

Finally,number two, I hate lens flare but maybe we can have some nice bokkeh next time.

Finally, maybe we should add a section to the forum for photography and online peer critiques and helpfull tips, not just a pic of the day or a POTM contest.

Yeah, that's going to work! :-/ I tried that on another forum and soon got flamed in PM by another member who decided I was unqualified to offer advice on photography. No thanks. I have found many don't know how to take constructive criticism without getting upset.

Yeah, that's going to work! :-/ I tried that on another forum and soon got flamed in PM by another member who decided I was unqualified to offer advice on photography. No thanks. I have found many don't know how to take constructive criticism without getting upset.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I've been on forums where it has worked wonderfully. The key is that those who participate are willing to accept others suggestions.

Back