Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: red sphagnum id

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool red sphagnum id

Hey, I was granted permission to collect some sphagnum on private property, and based on my lurking there are some sphagnum "guru's" out there. Its pretty compact and red, I'll post a pic in like an hour or so. Any help in species id would be awesome! let me know what you think
    Travis

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compact and red... That described almost any red sphag species you will find.

A picture will help and the fact that it is red will narrow down choices, but it is almost impossible to ID sphag with hundreds of species out there that look almost identical. You need a microscope to examine the structure to be able to figure out what species it is, or at least have a shot at figuring it out.

I am a novice sphag collector and I just mark the original location it was collected, place it was bought, ect. and that is how I ID it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oooo purdy

silly flicker lol
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look exactly like the red sphag I have!... But mine is from Alabama and yours is from New York or one of those surrounding states... That really proves how much all sphag looks like other members of the genus!

I'd say just mark the exact location you got it at and once you've cultured it for a while, write down the growing conditions it likes, dormancy, ect.

BTW, if you got that from the wild, the best thing to do is drown it. It won't hurt it. Just fill the culture container with RO/DI and let it sit for an hour or two, drain and let it dry out over night, then redo the process the next day. Do this for a couple of days, maybe you could squeeze two floods into one day. This will kill most pests on it so that they don't attack your plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it in new york on the side of a mountain right in the path of a spring flowing from the top, Im gonna have to get a picture, its beautiful up there . I put it in a tray and half flooded it and put it in my unheated garage because it was frozen when i found it so i figure nice and frosty would be best. If you have any advice on dormancy i would love to learn your methods
    Travis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tatorger View Post
    I found it in new york on the side of a mountain right in the path of a spring flowing from the top, Im gonna have to get a picture, its beautiful up there . I put it in a tray and half flooded it and put it in my unheated garage because it was frozen when i found it so i figure nice and frosty would be best. If you have any advice on dormancy i would love to learn your methods
    Travis
    Haven't had mine through dormancy yet, but the main species that I grow turns brown, white and minty green in the winter. You can't grow it in a terrarium long term. If it was growing outside in New York and you live in New York, just stick the cultures outside in the sun and keep them moist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast