What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solanum pyracanthon, aka Thorny tomato plant of Doom.

Brie

Sarracenia freak
I brought my Solanum pyracanthoninside for the winter recently, and it decided to start blooming like crazy.. I love this plant and hope to keep it alive until next spring when it can go back outside..

8203415605_419dccc6d9_o.jpg

8204506980_b0c3488f06_b.jpg

8204555454_d3332f6f7f_b.jpg

8204559002_e514a319ee_b.jpg

That plant is amazing! How do you care for one?

Oooo that's pretty cool, is the fruit edible? Or just eye candy?

just eyecandy, a lot of fruit in the tomato family is poisonous if I recall correctly. Nightshade and Datura are in the same family if I'm not mistaken. I used to have one but it outgrew my space so gave it away.

Knew about nightshade, that must explain the "of Doom" part since "thorny" was already accounted for lolz.

Now having seen Bries reply I wonderz if it could be cooked to cut the bitterness or used for the bitter in a dish???

just eyecandy, a lot of fruit in the tomato family is poisonous if I recall correctly. Nightshade and Datura are in the same family if I'm not mistaken. I used to have one but it outgrew my space so gave it away.

Other way around, most of the fruits are the only edible parts of the plants.. All of Solanum are super toxic, but the fruits are edible. Eggplant for instance.

**I should say all of the PLANT parts are super toxic.. Leaves, unripe fruit, roots, etc.. But the ripe fruit is typically edible..

looks like it's been doing really well since you got it. That things is awesome..

Yeah its definitely alot bigger then the wee little baby plant I brought home this past spring. LOL. Im glad I wasnt successful in my many attempts to kill it by forgetting to water it. :p This summer was so hot and dry, all my non CP plants dried out so fast between waterings. Went out on several occasions and this poor guy was rather thirsty and wilted. :\ BUT it lived, and is happier now. LOL.

Nice plant - looks very spiky! :-O

Brie, where did you get it? I had one a couple years ago, and the cats killed it.I've been looking for another. Awesome plants!

Until you walk out back barefoot....

I'm never going near that plant. Smilax laurifolia was painful enough....

Back