Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook - helpful or waste?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fought signing up to Facebook for a long time. I needed to communicate with a large group of people and found creating a group on Facebook was the easiest way to do it. I don't like sharing information at all either. All you need to sign up is an email address and a name. If all you wanted was to read Rob's newsletter you wouldn't even need to use your real name. Facebook can only share what you give them. The phone book has more info on me than my Facebook page. I do agree that it would be nice not to have to sign up just to read the newsletter though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    - FB is another massive time-suck that I can not afford at this point in my life
    - FB is notorious for sharing private information with other entities (most of whom I'd prefer did not have it). In addition, they regularly make changes that share info by default and only after they've implemented said changes do they offer a way to opt out. They've conclusively shown (imho) that they care much more about the income they receive than protecting personal info.
    For me, I typically only go on facebook when I'm bored, like waiting for the bus, a break during work or school or lying in bed not being able to sleep. So it doesn't really suck any time that I wouldn't just be staring into space anyway. I do also post a lot of pictures, but photography is my hobby and its a way for me to show my friends and family what I'm doing. (I'm talking about real pictures not just pictures with the iphone)
    I do agree that for some people, usually in the teenage category, it is a big time sucker. I know many who are completely addicted and its their whole being. They can't go a minute without posting where they are, what they've eaten, or that weird guy that just talked to them.

I also use it to keep in touch with friends (the real kind) and family. Infact about 75% of my close family I don't even know because I'm stranded on an island. I've now connected with them and now can say that I at least know them some what
    Also, back in the day when facebook was brand new (and many years after) they only allowed college students with a valid college email address to be apart of facebook. It was to keep in touch with your fellow students and professors and create networking for future business, or to just keep in touch. And like for me it was to keep in touch with all the kids I went to school with when I studied abroad. Cause we all know how expensive it is to send snail mail or make a phone call to Europe

As for sharing my private information. I dunno, my age, sex, and interests don't seem to be anything that I don't mind sharing. Yes if it was my bank account, my passwords or health records. But the other stuff? Thats just used for advertising IMO. Maybe I'm wrong though?

For me I enjoy facebook the most because of the pages I subscribe to. I really enjoy when I'm bored I can go on FB and know what the latest scientific discoveries are, or what to look for in the sky tonight. Meteor shower maybe? I also subscribe to news pages and get to see whats happening in the world instantly(well if I'm looking on FB). And like I said before I love photography so I have fellow friends who are photographers that I draw great inspiration from because they post their pictures as well.

I dunno, for me its less of a gossip site than it is a tool that I enjoy. But its all in what you make it
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TF is my Facebook and don't have a need for any other form of online socialization such as Facebook

Privacy is one of the main issues I have with Facebook and would much rather talk with my very small "circle" of friends and family in private through email. There are plenty of other places online I can get education and news. If a business requires me to have a Facebook account to do business with them, then they don't need my business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ What fullcollapse said... Alot of people i know sign up with fake names, and one time use email addresses. If you dont put your info on FB, there's nothing for them to share. You can log in, read what you want, Friend who you want to friend and follow, and have minimal risk of those security/info sharing risks you hear about. Its pretty simple IMO to avoid all that. With Facebook such a huge place now days, more and more businesses are using it for exposure and whatnot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup I only use it for online business presence and I don't have to share any personal info this way since there are relatives I'd rather avoid who do use these social media sites.

I think I had to give them my birth date when I registered the company pages but no personal stuff like: name, sex, dating, movies, etc... To get facebook.com/mycompanyname I had to give them my cell phone number to get a confirmation code by text. Why they can't send it by email I don't have any idea. But I haven't been spammed or telemarketed (yet) concerning facebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it for my artwork, mostly. I only have 2 or 3 friends where I live right now, so it's helpful for staying in contact with the rest of them that live on the other side of the state, or country, or world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I wouldn't join facebook for all the tea in China. My life is not an open book to share with the world and I find the whole concept petty and narcissistic. I think it's sad that our society has sunk so low as to employ such a plastic mode of communication. Like my Nana used to say......"Fools names and monkey's faces can always be found in public places."
    I think this is one of the common misconceptions of facebook. Its possible to make it open to the whole world, but really most people have private sites that can only be seen by the people you want to see them. Infact I don't personally know anyone who has an open site like you describe. Except maybe for Kim Kardashian?!?

I agree though, it is very sad that our society has dwendled down to this as a form of "relationship" thats acceptable. I often find it frustrating that friendships have become so superficial. I have many so called friends now that won't take the time of day to see me in person, but will constantly talk to me on facebook. This is not a real relantionship IMO, and its becoming far to common. Even my one friend that I've known since 3rd grade has become this way. I'm not too amused by this -_-

But like I said before, its all in what you make it to be.

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And quite honestly FB is no different then this forum, just a different name. And instead of posting on your page and others, you just post on the forum. Same info is required, same effort.

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast