Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook - helpful or waste?

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook is a great tool, but it has it's drawbacks. Over time I've found it's gotten too personal, especially when you see that one of your relatives liked a certain page. That has happened a few times in my family and has caused several conflicts over the years. It's one reason I barely go on anymore. Facebook also seems to have increased the gossip and drama status at home and abroad. It amazes me that one thing posted on Facebook the night before can cause drama to erupt in such a wide circle of people the next day (like high school). Still, Facebook has it's benefits as well. It's quite possible that some of our fellow CP vendors that use Facebook to advertise wouldn't exist if Facebook didn't exist. It also offers the ability to join foreign CP groups and observe different techniques and see what is growing on overseas . It's really whatever suits you. I can see both sides to liking and not liking FB. I'm just glad that I go on every once and a while and not every day like most of my friends do. I get to focus on other things like caring for my plants.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided not to reply earlier, but now that there is a legit debate, I guess I'll chime in...

I like Facebook because I've been able to build relationships with acquaintances. Now they're really nice people to talk to when you see them around. Not like hanging out all the time, but always talking when you do see them. Another reason I like Facebook is because you can see who is online and chat them to get info on classes or figure out how to do a homework problem. You can also do group chats which are easier than texting group chats where everyone has to have an iPhone and you can't see who is at their phone. Facebook is like the best smartphone that anyone could ever make, but for your computer.

I think a lot of older people have no use for it rather than to just catch up with old friends and talk to family that aren't close. For younger people, they may find the games on Facebook fun. I was obsessed with Farmville when I first joined Facebook. Now I just use it to talk to people and build relationships as stated in the first paragraph.

So the older you get, the more pointless Facebook should be to you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i actually joined in back in 2005. back then it was supposed to be a college only networking site---ie, you needed a university email to join. the purpose was simple, to bring student life and events happening around campus at your fingertips so you'd be in the know of what's going on. lots of cool stuff--follow different clubs and interests, inside jokes within the campus like "the old man deNeve and crusher appreciation network" <--no one here gets what im saying here right? facebook was actually useful back then--not so much anymore.

how ironic that they introduced the "college network" which allows you to connect with others from the same school....wasnt that what is was in the first place?
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Decided not to reply earlier, but now that there is a legit debate, I guess I'll chime in...

I think a lot of older people have no use for it rather than to just catch up with old friends and talk to family that aren't close. For younger people, they may find the games on Facebook fun.

So the older you get, the more pointless Facebook should be to you...
    I'm gonna get you for those ageist remarks pine
    I just realized another major use for FB that Pine reminded me of. My son is in Afghanistan right now as a contracter. Text messaging and calling are very expensive. When I am on line I keep my FB page open but minimized. My computor volume is turned on. When he has some spare time he logs in to FB and if he sends me a private chat, even just to say a quick hello, my alert chimes and I can chat real time, not wait for email or a time when we can both sitdown and skype. I only do this at home, FB is not allowed, and rightly so, at work. (along with twitter, chat rooms and other forms of "social media")
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    I'm gonna get you for those ageist remarks pine
    I just realized another major use for FB that Pine reminded me of. My son is in Afghanistan right now as a contracter. Text messaging and calling are very expensive. When I am on line I keep my FB page open but minimized. My computor volume is turned on. When he has some spare time he logs in to FB and if he sends me a private chat, even just to say a quick hello, my alert chimes and I can chat real time, not wait for email or a time when we can both sitdown and skype. I only do this at home, FB is not allowed, and rightly so, at work. (along with twitter, chat rooms and other forms of "social media")
    With Skype you can VOIP for free. That's how I call all my overseas contacts. You can instant message and conference call via Skype too.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that several of you with strong opinions on the usefulness of such a thing as facebook and other "anti-social networks" are among the throngs of people who are hopelessly and sadly addicted to these sites. I've seen it a hundred times, people will go into full panic mode if they can't access their stupid facebook account to see what their equally sad friends are doing at the moment or to make sure that everyone knows that they "like" something. I've seen you people walking aimlessly and zombie like around glued to your smart phones so captivated by the synthetic world of facebook that you walk into things, miss your buss stops and, ignore people who are trying to have a real conversation with you. " Ooohh I need to hurry up and see what Sally is eating right now or what sad bathroom mirror self portrait of mine people like the best !" Get a life.

If there are any legitimate uses to the site, I assure you they are ignored by the overwhelming majority of the public in lieu of what's going on in so and so's pathetic "farm" or to be the 1st to comment on yet another sorry self portrait of someone sitting in a group of people somewhere ignoring them in order to supply you with your facebook fodder ! The saddest thing of all is that adults have bought into this. I could see the teeny boppers thinking this is a great thing but, anyone over 17 years old should be ashamed of themselves for even having a facebook account.

I could go on for days about how ridiculous such sites are but, I won't. Good day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use face book just a bit. and a bit less all the time. now i find since i did post a few photos from my photobucket account i know cant find a way to stop every photo i load on photobucket from popping up on face book.
    can some one here help me stop this?
    I cant seem to find the right security measure on photobucket to stop facebooks swiping of my pics.
    i never wanted every one to see all pics i take. and every one there seems to think i want them up for the whole world to see.

i know my fault but id still like to stop it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use Facebook to stay in contact with my friends if they do not have a phone or etc. I also use Facebook for groups so that I can get notes for school or even talk to other cp enthusiasts who aren't on TF. I rarely go on and it's usually only for a couple minutes but I see why it is a useful tool.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast