Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Facebook - helpful or waste?

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cthulhu138 I strongly resent being cast as a mindless zombie who is addicted to anything, except caffine. Your arragant disdain for those of use who find something useful and are sharing why is annoying, to put it mildly. You know nothing of my personal life except what I have shared in this thread yet you cast me as some sort of FB zombie constantly glued to my computor or smartphone. This makes me angry. I could make several inferences about you based on your screen name, but I don't. Therefore you have no right to profile me based on the fact that I use facebook.
    Members here have shared their personal reasons of why they find Fb to be useful. Yet you ignore them and continue to rant about how evil it is. And further have pity for those adults who have been sucked in to the vortex.
    I am an intelligent adult with two grown children, grandchildren and a six figure income. I have not been sucked into anything nor am I ashamed for utilizing FB as a tool for contact and communication with my family, my friends, my neighbors and yes, even my boss. The only FB friends I have never met in "real life" are those who are also on TF. You on the other hand have an uptight, self-rightous aditude, parroting what you have read, and calling us pathetic.
    I could go on for days about how sorry I am for you stuck in your little world of rightousness, but I won't. Better Day.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    It seems to me that several of you with strong opinions on the usefulness of such a thing as facebook and other "anti-social networks" are among the throngs of people who are hopelessly and sadly addicted to these sites. I've seen it a hundred times, people will go into full panic mode if they can't access their stupid facebook account to see what their equally sad friends are doing at the moment or to make sure that everyone knows that they "like" something.
    While I wouldn't choose the hard-edged delivery style Cthulhu has, I certainly agree with the sentiments therein. That said, as a participant, YOU get to choose how to use the service and define its role in your life. If you have family and friends whose geographic proximity makes meaningful interaction difficult, social media can be a real asset. I firmly believe that individuals have a responsibility to self to keep a short leash on their Internet identity and set limits on how much, and to what degree they allow themselves to be involved. There is a reason psychologists speak about "Internet addiction" as a parallel to gambling behavior.

For me, the volume of hollow, vapid "content" Farcebook now shares with millions of people degrades the experience, and for me, makes it a grotesque time waster; I have no interest in spending time to sort the gems from the junk. And then there's FarmVille. I closed my account because acquaintances refused to stop sending me invites to "harvest their beets" etc. What a mindless waste of time and energy. (In my estimation)

It was inevitable that this discussion would erode into a highly polarized, emotionally overwrought "us VS them" rant fest. Media like FB tend to have a strong polarizing effect on people. One mans poison, as the saying goes.....
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 11-25-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I used to want to read other people's thoughts. Then I got Facebook.."

I think the way the user chooses to approach the system makes the difference. Some people may use it to play mindless games, some may use it for meaningful interaction. I don't currently have a cell phone or texting plan, so Facebook is my main way of communicating with others. IMO, it can be very hurtful, or very helpful, depending on how it is used. There is no one pitch answer. Not all Facebook users are stupid, and not all are intelligent.

On a more funny note, have you all seen those ads that are like "Facebook is like chairs"? They crack me up...
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post

On a more funny note, have you all seen those ads that are like "Facebook is like chairs"? They crack me up...
    nope can you face book me ? im on now jimmy conner friend ??
    or put up a ULR here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is. One of the worst ads in history:

youtube.com/#/watch?v=c7SjvLceXgU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dc7SjvLceXgU

Hopefully it works, I'm on iPad at the moment, so stuff is harder to copy and paste.

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope whats the name of the video ill go myself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Called "Facebook, the story of us"

youtube.com/watch?feature=m-ch-fea&v=c7SjvLceXgU

That one won't work either. Obviously I suck at computers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like facebook for a few reasons.
    1. I'm 3000 miles from home, away from my friends and family, it's nice to be able to see new pictures of them, their children, and talk to them without a phone bill to rival the national deficit or a clogged up email account. It is also easier to post pictures for my family to see what we are doing (because, believe it or not, some people actually do care what others are doing, especially when they have children and holidays are coming up) and see my children grow up, since they can't be there.

2. I have moved 6 times in the past 6 or so years due to the military, it is an easy way to keep up with all the friends I"ve made along the way. I miss them!

Things I don't like: ***** game requests. I have blocked all the "offenders" from sending me any more game requests. Problem solved. I probably spend more time on here or other forums than I do on FB, I just leave it running in the background most of the time. If I need a time killer (like say when I just recently spent 12+ hours at the airport due to cancelled flights) it gave me something to do other than read a book or watch a movie.

I do find the "if you're an adult with a facebook account you should be ashamed" a resentful and obnoxious comment. I am 28, with 4 children, we pay taxes and live a good healthy life. There are far worse things you can do than be on facebook. Also, ignoring social situations - damn right I use it for that, I don't like social situations or groups of random people talking to me, and they are much less likely to do so if I am indisposed.
    USDA Zone 4b
    My Grow List
    There are only 01 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast