Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Facebook - helpful or waste?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I find it interesting to see just how much of a polarizing effect F-book has on a population.
    Yes, even knowing of this effect when I posted, I was still amazed by the vitriol.

I envision two primary catalysts for my future joining .... this is one ...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I found a lot of long lost friends from grade school, college, former jobs. That alone is worth it to me.
    Starting sometime when my kids were in their early teens, we lost the time to stay in contact with many friends -- or maybe a more accurate way of saying it is that all of the 'stuff' associated with work (both my wife & I worked full time), school, school activities (two kids in multiple varsity sports, tournaments, etc) crowded out any efforts to keep in touch with many others. Finding the long-lost people from school, college & old work will be another pleasant positive - I'm really looking forward to reconnecting ...

... and this is the other catalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by AshG2385 View Post
    ...It is also easier to post pictures for my family to see what we are doing (because, believe it or not, some people actually do care what others are doing...
    We plan to get a small 5th wheel RV and do a significant amount of North American travel as well as some in more far-flung regions (Europe, Central & South America & maybe a few Nep mountains). During these travels, we would like to stay connected with family & friends & share some of what we are experiencing. I can either re-invent the wheel with my own creation of a website or possibly start a blog or join the big, bad FB ...

While I'm not obviously not pleased that my curiosity and need for assistance was a catalyst for nasty feelings, the information that has been shared has been very helpful & appreciated. I need to reread the thread some more to solidify a few of my questions (which will follow)... Thanks again for contributing to an expansion of my FB knowledge.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    During these travels, we would like to stay connected with family & friends & share some of what we are experiencing. I can either re-invent the wheel with my own creation of a website or possibly start a blog or join the big, bad FB ...
    IMO, this is where a personal blog excels. In that environment, you control the signal-to-noise ratio: the content is yours alone and participants/viewers do not have to spend any energy sorting the content from the background noise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with blogs is that it takes a while to network stuff and finding friends that also have blogs can be difficult. Add the fact that finding family members who you haven't seen in a while and have no idea where they live or their phone numbers will make locating them difficult.

You can create a both of best worlds though. Use your Facebook account to reach out to family and friends and use it to direct them to your blog. As such only use minimal info on Facebook.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    Problem with blogs is that it takes a while to network stuff and finding friends that also have blogs can be difficult. Add the fact that finding family members who you haven't seen in a while and have no idea where they live or their phone numbers will make locating them difficult.

You can create a both of best worlds though. Use your Facebook account to reach out to family and friends and use it to direct them to your blog. As such only use minimal info on Facebook.
    A perfectly reasonable suggestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have a few select friends on FB, many of them family members or close friends. I find it useful for keeping in touch and sharing photos with them. Those friends who fill my news feeds page with junk, such as those that like to 'share' everything they see, get their 'Show in News Feeds' unticked. As for advertisements, Firefox + Adblock Plus deals with them and for tracker privacy DNT+ deals with that.
    Last edited by mobile; 11-27-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On occasion, a few of my co-workers have communicated with me, on work-related matters. For instance, one guy asks me to make a mobile phase solution for him on Saturday, so he can use it for his HPLC run on Sunday.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things wrong with Facebook:

Mark Zuckerberg

It harvests your information and gives companies who do not have your best interest at heart a profile of your interests and beliefs.

It creates energies within your personal relationships which would not have ever existed were it not for the existence of facebook. The majority of these energies are negative ones such as jealousy, neglect, or irritation. In a sense it extends the reality of your relationships into its own perimeters, perimeters which due to the above reasons can not and should not ever be trusted.

It devalues human interactions.

It is a poor website in general. It is not customizable, there is no way to personalize it to an significant extent. Every profile is uniform, detracting from humanity's innate individual uniqueness.

You cannot erase your time on facebook from the world. Everything I did on the few years that I had facebook is now stored somewhere and exists outside of my control.

Its influence is leaking over into all realms of my life, whether it be advertizing, my social interactions, the organizations I am a part of, or even my beloved Terraforums.

I also have to say that I agree with Cthuhlu, though its never fun to say it so harshly. The vast majority of facebook users could just as easily live a full and happy life without ever supporting that machine.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Things wrong with Facebook:
    It harvests your information and gives companies who do not have your best interest at heart a profile of your interests and beliefs.

It creates energies within your personal relationships which would not have ever existed were it not for the existence of facebook. The majority of these energies are negative ones such as jealousy, neglect, or irritation. In a sense it extends the reality of your relationships into its own perimeters, perimeters which due to the above reasons can not and should not ever be trusted.

It devalues human interactions.
    These three things in particular are what prompted me to exit FB, and all three of the above statements is absolutely true, especially the first one. You cannot trust FB and its policies to have your best interest at its core. You are simply a resource to be harvested. If that were not the case, you would be paying for the service. Which brings me to the following: on the internet, if you are offered something for "free", you ought to be asking yourself "what are they getting in return?", because there has to be something in it for the service provider to offer you something gratis.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast