What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suicidal Flower Stalks

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I had a D. hartmeyerorum flower stalk developing and yesterday I saw the top had died out, presumably due to growing right up to he light and burning itself. One would think that plants have the sense to avoid contact...

This isn't the first time that this has happened. Anybody else experience this?

One would think that plants have the sense to avoid contact...

No reason why they should have developed such a capability. In the wild, the sun does not hang so low as to present such a risk. Nor is Mother Nature known for commonly placing hot light bulbs in close proximity to plants. :D

I use a mesh screen to prevent this from happening.

No reason why they should have developed such a capability. In the wild, the sun does not hang so low as to present such a risk. Nor is Mother Nature known for commonly placing hot light bulbs in close proximity to plants. :D

*Like* He he :D

I'll have to disuade them a bit...

I've been given a second chance:

002-26.jpg

Heliotropism at its best. Either move the plant so the flowers miss the lights or add some sort of shield. With plants on my windowsills the petals often get stuck to the glass. This can be a blessing in disguise as it keeps the stalks from waving around a spewing seed all over the place.

Cudos for getting them to flower.

LOL! Moving the pot a bit works!

How did you get it to bloom?

drosera hartmeyerorum has extreme issues with flowering and dieing and I think it was labeled an annual because of it (its a fairly new species), as well as issues with having minimal amounts of seed and baring unviable seed, etc etc

I've been hand-pollinating and going from flower to flower. I'm guessing that this helps. They seem to do well in a terrarium setup.

101_3993.jpg

101_3992.jpg

034.jpg

101_3997.jpg

101_3998.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I intended it for Petiolaris Complex plants. It seems to work well for B. liniflora, D. indica, D. harmeyerorum, and utrics.

Back