Thread: Foggers & Humidistats

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/su...distats_1.html

I fail to see what the concern is though on the humidity level. Why the obsession with such super high humidity readings?
    Thank you! Those are rather expensive though... I am ordering my thermostat from a place that also has a prewired humidistat, I think this should work, right?

It gets down to about 50% humidity when the sun shines on the greenhouse and the sphag dries out. My sphag is very precious to me, I'm obsessed with it as much as I am with my CPs... I'm collecting tons of different species to farm in the GH. And also it really pisses me off how the humidity lowers at night when the heater kicks on, so I'll need a fogger for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmcnair View Post
    well thats your problem, no matter what you do unless you seal the air in your greenhouse nothing will be able to keep the humidity up. put your money into sealing your greenhouse properly and then try a cheap solution like i suggested and I bet you will get your desired results. also the air stones keep the water moving which does help
    It is sealed off as much as it can be. I have that insulation tape lining the door already, it is a sliding door and it is as sealed off as it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Raising the humidity in the summer is going to lower the efficiency of the swamp cooler so you'll get less cooling
    Yeah, but the fogger will cool the air as much as the evaporation cooler would it if humidified, same thing there. It won't make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    if it is in an effort to keep you sphag from drying out, you may be better off setting up a simple homemade mister system
    I would but I don't have the billions of gallons of RO to use on that when I can just mist whenever I can or better yet, raise the humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather striping and caulk can go a long way and I agree that it is your best starting point. Then how about an inexpensive waterfall like Lils? http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...eenhouse-(DUW)
    Then you have a massive surface area of water, a reservoir to re-use and recycle the water, and a convienient place to display and grow your sphag. Looks pretty easy to me and should be very effective. Probably take an afternoon at the big box store for supplies and brainstorming and a day or two to assemble and work the bugs out.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
    Weather striping and caulk can go a long way and I agree that it is your best starting point. Then how about an inexpensive waterfall like Lils? http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...eenhouse-(DUW)
    Then you have a massive surface area of water, a reservoir to re-use and recycle the water, and a convienient place to display and grow your sphag. Looks pretty easy to me and should be very effective. Probably take an afternoon at the big box store for supplies and brainstorming and a day or two to assemble and work the bugs out.
    I don't have space for that. I have so little space that I have to set my orchids on the ground. I only have 2.5ft by 5ft or so of walk space, the rest of the spaces is filled by shelves and plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greenhouse # 2 then? he he HL and LL?
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/su...distats_1.html

I fail to see what the concern is though on the humidity level. Why the obsession with such super high humidity readings?
    Agreed x 10... I would listen to the extensive experience of Tony
    It seems like most growers are overly concerned with humidity. Understandably so, as there is a long established culture of needing to provide super high humidity to grow nice plants, but that is simply not the case. Most of my Nepenthes grow in 35-40% humidity year round. I provide higher humidity for select plants such as cuttings, new aquisitions, small sensative plants, helis, and my smaller lowland neps; but even my larger lowland nep setup (including N. bicalcarata and ampularia) currently only has 40-50% humidity durring the day, and up to about 60% at night. The larger lowlanders grow a bit slower than they might otherwise, but they have acclimated and they still grow fine. Need proof that you don't need high humidity? Here's a few pics of some of my plants growing under these conditions (not to show off, but to prove the point):

N. singalana

N. spectabilis x aristolochioides

N. bicalcarata

N. maxima 'tentana'

N. glabrata

N. truancata 'pasian'

Higher humidity does have its benefits, and it will help your moss out, but I personally wouldn't think it worth the trouble or money. I think your humidity levels are within a really good range as is (much higher than for most of my plants, at any rate). Periodic moderate humidity drops will also help to prevent fungus attacks, as opposed to super high humidity all the time.

Obviously not telling you what to do, but just some things to consider.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    Agreed x 10... I would listen to the extensive experience of Tony
    It seems like most growers are overly concerned with humidity. Understandably so, as there is a long established culture of needing to provide super high humidity to grow nice plants, but that is simply not the case. Most of my Nepenthes grow in 35-40% humidity year round. I provide higher humidity for select plants such as cuttings, new aquisitions, small sensative plants, helis, and my smaller lowland neps; but even my larger lowland nep setup (including N. bicalcarata and ampularia) currently only has 40-50% humidity durring the day, and up to about 60% at night. The larger lowlanders grow a bit slower than they might otherwise, but they have acclimated and they still grow fine. Need proof that you don't need high humidity? Here's a few pics of some of my plants growing under these conditions (not to show off, but to prove the point):

N. singalana

N. spectabilis x aristolochioides

N. bicalcarata

N. maxima 'tentana'

N. glabrata

N. truancata 'pasian'

Higher humidity does have its benefits, and it will help your moss out, but I personally wouldn't think it worth the trouble or money. I think your humidity levels are within a really good range as is (much higher than for most of my plants, at any rate). Periodic moderate humidity drops will also help to prevent fungus attacks, as opposed to super high humidity all the time.

Obviously not telling you what to do, but just some things to consider.
    Dangit, your singalana makes mine look like a green diarrhea with a bit of red splotching. >_<

I guess you're right. Maybe I better just order the thermostat for $20 and spend the rest on plants. #1 on my list is ordering a long awaited lowii x campanulata from Tony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sympathise with your concern for the moss though...
    If it is watered from above frequently enough the moss should still do pretty well, and the moss in trays should stay pretty wet and humid I imagine. You could partially cover the moss trays with syran wrap? You might also consider hosing down the floor of your greenhouse twice a day with normal water from your garden hose. That would probably help a lot if done right before/durring the heat of the day. I always try for the cheapest options first

Edit: Honestly, I've always thought the sphagnum in your nep pots looked great! You're doing something right!
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Dangit, your singalana makes mine look like a green diarrhea with a bit of red splotching. >_<

I guess you're right. Maybe I better just order the thermostat for $20 and spend the rest on plants. #1 on my list is ordering a long awaited lowii x campanulata from Tony.
    Lol Give your singalana time. I'm sure it will do great.

lowii x campanulata's are super nice. I would deffinately envy you
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast