What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foggers & Humidistats

Another option is big tubs of water with aquarium heaters in them. Far more effective than airstones, in my experience.

If you have two hundred , have you considered a misting system , you can place nozzle where you like and get an seconds timer. you can mist several times a day. which will also raise the humidity some
check out mist king systems.

I'd kinda like to explore this again. Does anyone have suggestions of a fogger for my 6' x 8' greenhouse around $200 +/- $50? Any other suggestions? I would try a misting system, but it would take a crapload of RO/DI daily... :(

Doesn't the swamp cooler humidify by itself?

Doesn't the swamp cooler humidify by itself?

Nope. If it is 65% humidity in the GH and I turn it on, it goes down to about 50%. Really weird. I know it is filling up with water because I have to refill the supply more than once a week. It does cool off the greenhouse by blowing all of the hot air out though, and may cool a bit with evaporation. The pump is obviously working, I see water being squirted all over the hay stuff lining the intakes on all three sides of the cooler. :(

Well in that case I guess a large pond fogger and a large tub of water is your cheapest option. Or you could get a massive fogging system. Ask Andrew about that.

EDIT: There are certainly cheaper ones, but this is what I'm talking about http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-FG202L...8&qid=1354421101&sr=8-10&keywords=pond+fogger

Ooooh, it has lights! That would be fun to play. :awesome:

These are the same and cheaper... http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html

Just ctrl+f M005 and you'll see the pic...

Item: M005

5 disc mister fogger, indoor/outdoor transformer(120V/24VAC, 8.33A), 32' long cord from transformer to fogger.
Price: $95.95/set
Shipping included in USA.

Exactly. What I would is buy a five dollar sterilite tub at Wal-Mart, cut a hole in it' duct the fog where you need, and stick the logger in there.big you get a large tub I bet it could hold 50 gallons easily.

Exactly. What I would is buy a five dollar sterilite tub at Wal-Mart, cut a hole in it' duct the fog where you need, and stick the logger in there.big you get a large tub I bet it could hold 50 gallons easily.

The thing is, it has to be about 1.5" under the surface and no deeper. I have long, flat, clear containers that hold about 15 gallons and they are 7" deep, so the 2.5" fogger plus 1.5" would mean 4" or so of water I could put in there, so about 8 gallons in the reservoir.

Do you think if I put it on the floor of the greenhouse on the bottom that it would raise the humidity for the entire GH? Or maybe I should just do a small container like you suggested and put it right under the swamp cooler so that the humidity gets blown around. :)

I would place the container above the swamp cooler so that the mist sinks down and is blown around. If you can only use eight gallons, go for the cheaper ones. A $95, five-membrane system will blow through that in twenty minutes.

I guess you'd have to use an RO system?

I guess you'd have to use an RO system?

I think that an RO misting system would be waaay too big of an investment. Then you gotta get a big barrel, hoist it up in the air so it can run on a siphon/gravity power, pay $150 for a misting system... I can easily see that being $500. :(

The thing is, it has to be about 1.5" under the surface and no deeper. I have long, flat, clear containers that hold about 15 gallons and they are 7" deep, so the 2.5" fogger plus 1.5" would mean 4" or so of water I could put in there, so about 8 gallons in the reservoir.

Do you think if I put it on the floor of the greenhouse on the bottom that it would raise the humidity for the entire GH? Or maybe I should just do a small container like you suggested and put it right under the swamp cooler so that the humidity gets blown around. :)

You can buy ultrasonic units like that that float. They keep themselves at the right level in the water no matter the depth.

You can buy ultrasonic units like that that float. They keep themselves at the right level in the water no matter the depth.

I just talked to a guy on YouTube with a total of 9 discs, two units. Fogs up his GH very well. I think I may do that and put them on a timer. I'll get one that floats. :)

What kind of water will you use and how will you position the tube?

What kind of water will you use and how will you position the tube?

Won't tap work? ???

I won't have a tub, it will just be blowing out to humidify the entire GH. :)

Back