What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BAD Nep Advice

I'm sure we've all seen some on general gardening sites
Just thought I'd post a few of my faves for the fun of it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) Here's the question asked

"I just received my first Nepenthes Ventrata plant (photo's below) and the pitchers have no fluid in them. What can I do so they don't get all dried out?"
&
Here's one of the replies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fill them 1/4" of distilled water, no minerals, and be sure to empty them a couple times a week and refill. They only partially digest insects they capture (and a healthy pitcher captures a good deal!), thus they need to be empty of the contents and refreshed. This process helps in the plants "digestion". Also, be sure the potting material *never* dries up, keep it moist by watering twice a week. I've been doing it 2x/wk, until it leeks water out of its planter.

http://www.plantswap.net/forum/f11/nepenthes-ventrata-has-nothing-pitchers-18193/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2) You don't need to feed it bugs. No carnivorous plant needs to be fed. They get most of their food from light. Bugs are like desert. Feed a 1/4 strength fertilizer every 2 weeks in the spring to get the plant pitchering.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carnivor/msg1119101211954.html?6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gotta Love It
LOL

Peace...

LOLOL! That's too funny.

Yeah
Except for the person who unwittingly fallows the advice / LOL

:lol: i could go for some desert LOL

Where did they get this "info" in the first place?

I know a guy that swears that the VFTs in the deathcubes at lowes and places like that are genetically modified to only live for a few years at the most before they crash and die.

Right, empty them twice a week because that's what monkeys do for the pitcher plants twice a week in the wild :crazy: Lol
Where do these people get their info, and what makes them think they know enough to tell others this junk? Sometimes the best answer to a question is "I don't Know".

When I saw the thread title I was wondering if I was going to be the butt of the joke! Whew! narrowly avaoided that!:lol: Lol
jk

"empty them twice a week because that's what monkeys do for the pitcher plants twice a week in the wild"

Thanx for that
I really did meed a good laugh & that did it
LMAO

I wouldn't say the advice given is 100% correct, but I also wouldn't say the advice given would hurt anything.
Just a little over kill..

Yeah, the rest of her advice wasn't bad, considering; but the emptying the pitcher fluid bit was a little off the wall...

Back