User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Vote for the top 3 best!

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • lil hokie - S. leucophylla x purpurpea

5 25.00%
  • amphirion - H. idk

1 5.00%
  • Devon - Drosera x [x tokaiensis x "Lantau Island"]

10 50.00%
  • cp777 - S. flava var. flava

3 15.00%
  • jimscott - B. liniflora

0 0%
  • Crissytal - P. rotundiflora

1 5.00%
  • Wire Man - D. cistiflora 'Red'

1 5.00%
  • mass - D. capensis "Bain's Rocket"

9 45.00%
  • kulamauiman - Drosera rupicola

4 20.00%
  • Av8tor1 - H. Butchenisis

12 60.00%
  • Not a Number - Drosera glabripes

13 65.00%
  • Heli - H. folliculata (Murosipan)

1 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Plant of the Month December 2012

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    While I'll be the 1st to admit that competing with a Point & Shoot camera is rough (especially when the 'others' pull out their macro lenses & stacking software), P&S users have fared very well in this monthly contest. P&S pics have placed at least one in the top three in the majority of months. In addition, although Paul (Whimgrinder) often takes pics with his big gun, he also has shown some great quality pics from an iPhone (& I'm sure there are many other examples).

For the calendar, I do agree that P&S's have a massive disadvantage. Some pics that I'd hoped might stand a chance, couldn't even be entered because after cropping, they failed to meet the minimum file size ...

Yuppers. Plus I was under the impression that this contest was about the plant not the picture even though it would be challenging to judge the plant without judging the picture as well. I get that but it just seems like everyone and their mother has a camera that can take amazing macro shots...and everyone loves a macro shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that capensis, Mass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mass is that real Capensis? Like the easiest plant ever? If you ever have extra....
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    While I'll be the 1st to admit that competing with a Point & Shoot camera is rough (especially when the 'others' pull out their macro lenses & stacking software), P&S users have fared very well in this monthly contest. P&S pics have placed at least one in the top three in the majority of months. In addition, although Paul (Whimgrinder) often takes pics with his big gun, he also has shown some great quality pics from an iPhone (& I'm sure there are many other examples).

For the calendar, I do agree that P&S's have a massive disadvantage. Some pics that I'd hoped might stand a chance, couldn't even be entered because after cropping, they failed to meet the minimum file size ...

Yep... and Warren did just post somewhere (maybe on one of Butch's threads?) something along the lines of (and I forget if it was aimed at photography or something else possibly requiring expensive tools) even if you do have the world's fanciest camera, if you're not a good photographer it's all for naught anyway. I feel your pain... I'm just getting to know my DSLR a year later and I feel like my shots looked better with the point-n-shoot but the resolution just wasn't there. The calendar has so many things involved with getting a pic in including 1. having a fancy enough camera 2. picture composition 3. whims of the audience 4. having nice subjects to photograph 5. with the right background etc. etc. I liked my pics for it, but I can see why they didn't get chosen. I'm really happy with what did get chosen for this upcoming year because they were really great shots with great resolution and excellent plants and looked oh-so-painfully-professional, even if some of them weren't the photographers' plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Hey here's a random idea - you guys wanna take the plant of the months and make that the calendar next year? I guess we'd have to have resolution requirements and specify exactly which picture of each plant, huh..
    What if all monthly winners (that meet the requirements) are automatically submitted into voting for the calendar. That way, people (like me) who only have point and shoot cameras can be included and some POTM pictures get into the calendar.
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Bain's Rocket is AWESOME. Nice entry, mass.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dueoka View Post
    What if all monthly winners (that meet the requirements) are automatically submitted into voting for the calendar. That way, people (like me) who only have point and shoot cameras can be included and some POTM pictures get into the calendar.
    So do you really want to take up 24-72 voting slots with pictures seen and posted already for months (if you include Pitcher of the Month). And with an over-representation of Nepenthes? Bad idea. There's nothing to keep people from resubmitting POTM pictures for consideration for the calendar.

Enough of this discussion. Maybe the rules should be similar the Member's Photo thread. No comments unless you post a valid entry photo along with them.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    So do you really want to take up 24-72 voting slots with pictures seen and posted already for months (if you include Pitcher of the Month). And with an over-representation of Nepenthes? Bad idea. There's nothing to keep people from resubmitting POTM pictures for consideration for the calendar.

Enough of this discussion. Maybe the rules should be similar the Member's Photo thread. No comments unless you post a valid entry photo along with them.
    Sorry for bringing it up

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast