What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month December 2012

Vote for the top 3 best!

• lil hokie - S. leucophylla x purpurpea

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • amphirion - H. idk

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Devon - Drosera x [x tokaiensis x "Lantau Island"]

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • cp777 - S. flava var. flava

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • jimscott - B. liniflora

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crissytal - P. rotundiflora

• Wire Man - D. cistiflora 'Red'

• mass - D. capensis "Bain's Rocket"

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • kulamauiman - Drosera rupicola

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Av8tor1 - H. Butchenisis

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Not a Number - Drosera glabripes

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Heli - H. folliculata (Murosipan)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mine stratified for less than a month. I don't think they even got that hot. Hopefully they decide to do something for you soon.

obsessed with this one right now..
D. capensis "Bain's Rocket"

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

'tis nice. Very nice. Extremely nice.

My point and shoot can take some rather nice pictures but its doubtful that they would be in the calander or even win this contest especially with the more tanleted photographers with better equipment that appear to be all over this forum with their snazzy pictures.
While I'll be the 1st to admit that competing with a Point & Shoot camera is rough (especially when the 'others' pull out their macro lenses & stacking software), P&S users have fared very well in this monthly contest. P&S pics have placed at least one in the top three in the majority of months. In addition, although Paul (Whimgrinder) often takes pics with his big gun, he also has shown some great quality pics from an iPhone (& I'm sure there are many other examples).

For the calendar, I do agree that P&S's have a massive disadvantage. Some pics that I'd hoped might stand a chance, couldn't even be entered because after cropping, they failed to meet the minimum file size ... :censor:

While I'll be the 1st to admit that competing with a Point & Shoot camera is rough (especially when the 'others' pull out their macro lenses & stacking software), P&S users have fared very well in this monthly contest. P&S pics have placed at least one in the top three in the majority of months. In addition, although Paul (Whimgrinder) often takes pics with his big gun, he also has shown some great quality pics from an iPhone (& I'm sure there are many other examples).

For the calendar, I do agree that P&S's have a massive disadvantage. Some pics that I'd hoped might stand a chance, couldn't even be entered because after cropping, they failed to meet the minimum file size ... :censor:

Yuppers. Plus I was under the impression that this contest was about the plant not the picture even though it would be challenging to judge the plant without judging the picture as well. I get that but it just seems like everyone and their mother has a camera that can take amazing macro shots...and everyone loves a macro shot.

Love that capensis, Mass. :drool:

Mass is that real Capensis? Like the easiest plant ever? If you ever have extra.... :)

Yep... and Warren did just post somewhere (maybe on one of Butch's threads?) something along the lines of (and I forget if it was aimed at photography or something else possibly requiring expensive tools) even if you do have the world's fanciest camera, if you're not a good photographer it's all for naught anyway. I feel your pain... I'm just getting to know my DSLR a year later and I feel like my shots looked better with the point-n-shoot but the resolution just wasn't there. The calendar has so many things involved with getting a pic in including 1. having a fancy enough camera 2. picture composition 3. whims of the audience 4. having nice subjects to photograph 5. with the right background etc. etc. I liked my pics for it, but I can see why they didn't get chosen. I'm really happy with what did get chosen for this upcoming year because they were really great shots with great resolution and excellent plants and looked oh-so-painfully-professional, even if some of them weren't the photographers' plants.

Hey here's a random idea - you guys wanna take the plant of the months and make that the calendar next year? I guess we'd have to have resolution requirements and specify exactly which picture of each plant, huh..

What if all monthly winners (that meet the requirements) are automatically submitted into voting for the calendar. That way, people (like me) who only have point and shoot cameras can be included and some POTM pictures get into the calendar. ???

That Bain's Rocket is AWESOME. Nice entry, mass.

What if all monthly winners (that meet the requirements) are automatically submitted into voting for the calendar. That way, people (like me) who only have point and shoot cameras can be included and some POTM pictures get into the calendar. ???

So do you really want to take up 24-72 voting slots with pictures seen and posted already for months (if you include Pitcher of the Month). And with an over-representation of Nepenthes? Bad idea. There's nothing to keep people from resubmitting POTM pictures for consideration for the calendar.

Enough of this :offtopic: discussion. Maybe the rules should be similar the Member's Photo thread. No comments unless you post a valid entry photo along with them.

So do you really want to take up 24-72 voting slots with pictures seen and posted already for months (if you include Pitcher of the Month). And with an over-representation of Nepenthes? Bad idea. There's nothing to keep people from resubmitting POTM pictures for consideration for the calendar.

Enough of this :offtopic: discussion. Maybe the rules should be similar the Member's Photo thread. No comments unless you post a valid entry photo along with them.

Sorry for bringing it up :down:

thanks guys..
Aperature, it is an unregistered variation of D. capensis 'Bain's Kloof'.
Side by side the two plants look nothing alike as far as shape. But both are found growing together on Bain's Kloof Pass. The German nursery that first offered the plants for sale noticed the difference in growth, and dubbed this variation as "Bain's Rocket" to set the two apart. Though it's not officially registered..
To answer your other question, yes.. this plant is super easy to grow and propagate. It is a capensis afterall..

I agree with this ...
Bad idea. There's nothing to keep people from resubmitting POTM pictures for consideration for the calendar.

.... but not this :nono: (Warren - did you get up on the wrong side of the bed?) :scratch:

The member's photo thread is a permanent sticky which gets bloated with comments & requires periodic cleanup if off-topic postings are allowed to continue (thus - there are very valid reasons to eliminate non-pic, off-topic postings). This thread (like the monthly Nep thread) is renewed each month so, even if the comments become numerous, the next month's contest starts fresh (so the comments never really become onerous). In general, I feel that comments (both those that directly relate to pics & those that form tangential conversations) are worthwhile & contribute to TF's usefulness as a whole. (imho) :woot:

We need more pics of plants! Please post some more!:drool:

Will update pic

Last edited:
We need more pics of plants! Please post some more!:drool:
Be careful what you wish for ... :lol:

Most N. hamata pics are examples of toothy goodness. However, like in many things, the reality of life in the toothy lane is that not all is goodness. Here's some old, gnarly, grandpa-like toothiness to chew on ... :awesome:
Nhamata-squish1121512.jpg

That's the coolest hamata I've ever seen, RLZ! It has so much character. You have my vote!! :)

Back