Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are these really carnivorous?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. Go figure. Learn something new every day! You are right, I didn't even notice the glands, and I usually have sharp eyes.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding stylidium: http://sarracenia.com/faq/faq5760.html

Stylidium has been proven to produce digestive enzymes, so it's pretty much proven to be carnivorous (or at least 'quasi carnivorous'). And Peat is right, it's NOT the flower trigger that acts to capture prey, but sticky glands around the flowers.

With Bibilis and Roridula, etc, just because they need other organisms to help them digest their prey doesn't mean they're not carnivorous. As was mentioned, most animals have symbiotic bacteria in their gut to aid in digestion. An extreme example is cows that need many many species of bacteria in their rumen to help them digest otherwise undigestible cellulose from grass. These plants still end up getting a huge part of their nutrients from the prey they capture, even if they don't digest the prey themselves.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yes, lowii has transitioned to getting most of it's nutrients from tree shrew droppings, so it is at most minimally carnivorous in the wild (as with N. ampularia, getting most its nutrients from falling leaves). That doesn't mean it's not frickin' awesome!
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    And yes, lowii has transitioned to getting most of it's nutrients from tree shrew droppings, so it is at most minimally carnivorous in the wild (as with N. ampularia, getting most its nutrients from falling leaves). That doesn't mean it's not frickin' awesome!
    +100000
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if flowerstalks of stelidium are capable of digesting insects, I still do not consider it carnivorous--because it should be the leaves of the plant should be responsible for attraction and capture of insects. Cephalotus, dionaea, drosera, sarracenia, heliamphora, darlingtonia, pinguicula, drosophyllun, utricularia, Byblis, and to some extent, roridula and brochinnia, have all modified their LEAVES to capture prey. Flowerstalks are not leaves, and not the main constituent of a plant. Therefore, eh....

I'll leave my thoughts at that.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, but he's asking if the plant is carnivorous and flower stalks are part of the plant I am of the opinion that if a plant traps and digests it's prey in some form of another, despite the aid of a symbiotic organism it is carnivorous.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    Even if flowerstalks of stelidium are capable of digesting insects, I still do not consider it carnivorous--because it should be the leaves of the plant should be responsible for attraction and capture of insects. Cephalotus, dionaea, drosera, sarracenia, heliamphora, darlingtonia, pinguicula, drosophyllun, utricularia, Byblis, and to some extent, roridula and brochinnia, have all modified their LEAVES to capture prey. Flowerstalks are not leaves, and not the main constituent of a plant. Therefore, eh....

I'll leave my thoughts at that.
    I think one could argue that the leaves of utricularia and genlisea are not carnivorous. Rather the underground, or underwater, bladders and stolons are responsible for the carnivory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcollapse View Post
    I think one could argue that the leaves of utricularia and genlisea are not carnivorous. Rather the underground, or underwater, bladders and stolons are responsible for the carnivory.
    those bladders of utricularia and forks of genlisea ARE modified leaves.

*note* peatmoss showed me photos of stylidium having glands on their leaves when young....i guess you can argue that they have a carnivorous phase from that....
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast