Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heater Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cp777 View Post
    Put some mesh over the back.
    I assume this advice is for insulation? Finding a way to better insulate your greenhouse would help out a lot. Home depot or Lowes sells 4x8 foot foam insulation panels for about $7.25 a piece (to put on the non-sun recieving sides of the greenhouse), or you could look into the bubble wrap made for this purpose.

Also, assuming cost is an issue (and it always is...) propane or natural gas heaters run quite a bit cheaper than electric heaters, from what I understand. From my one experience as a teenager trying to heat a greenhouse with an electric space heater over the winter, I'm never going to go electric again. My parents wouldn't fund it anymore
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    The Temp Alert is an industry standard device (meaning everyone has used this for ages and it is very simple technology: no power source required.) I recall they are about $60

http://www.winland.com/products/TA-2HL/ta-2hl.html
    Just trying to understand this myself...What exactly is the point of a temperature alarm, unless it texts you or calls you when the temperature is too high or low? If you need to be in the greenhouse to hear/see the alarm, then what's the point? Or is there something that I'm not catching here? How does it work? Reading the product description didn't clarify this for me.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    Just trying to understand this myself...What exactly is the point of a temperature alarm, unless it texts you or calls you when the temperature is too high or low? If you need to be in the greenhouse to hear/see the alarm, then what's the point? Or is there something that I'm not catching here? How does it work? Reading the product description didn't clarify this for me.
    I have the same questions... I don't get it either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    I assume this advice is for insulation? Finding a way to better insulate your greenhouse would help out a lot. Home depot or Lowes sells 4x8 foot foam insulation panels for about $7.25 a piece (to put on the non-sun recieving sides of the greenhouse), or you could look into the bubble wrap made for this purpose.

Also, assuming cost is an issue (and it always is...) propane or natural gas heaters run quite a bit cheaper than electric heaters, from what I understand. From my one experience as a teenager trying to heat a greenhouse with an electric space heater over the winter, I'm never going to go electric again. My parents wouldn't fund it anymore
    Tis to stop stuff going in the back. And yes, insulating would help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I have the same questions... I don't get it either.
    When the temperature needle contacts either the low or high set point needle it closes the circuit and will ring a remote bell or something. Depending on what you have the leads connected too at the other end.

I used to use one of those big lantern batteries connected to a little electric bell which was connected to the temp. alert device. As soon as either high or low contact is made it closes the circuit and the battery rings the bell. The 'alarm bell' can be located however far you want from the greenhouse. You just run a small wire like the 24volt low voltage cable.

Yes you need to be there to hear it.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want something more sophisticated Sensaphone is great but requires a phone line to do it's thing..but you are also talking $$$
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at least it can alert you in your house. That would be helpful. Run it to your room and it'll wake you up if it gets too cold at night. Fun
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12