Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DonH's Cold Growth Chamber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried setting up a peltier wine cooler as a highland grow chamber and my biggest hurdle, apart for the inability of the cooler to remove the heat from the CF lamp, was trying to keep the humidity high. Any water vapour would condense on the cooling plate.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweetness! Never seen cps with all the little hairs on them like the H minor. Love the color of your N. edwardsiana and the black "teeth" of the N hamata.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, DragonsEye!

Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I tried setting up a peltier wine cooler as a highland grow chamber and my biggest hurdle, apart for the inability of the cooler to remove the heat from the CF lamp, was trying to keep the humidity high. Any water vapour would condense on the cooling plate.
    I thought about converting a wine cooler or one of those mini Monster Energy fridges to a grow chamber but ran into the same problems you mentioned. It's counterproductive to have the cooler constantly on to remove heat from the lights. Also, the growing area is so limited that it may not be worth the investment. It can probably fit around 6 seedlings without adding a fan. My setup, with the CO2 system, cost around $600 and I will need to think about a highland greenhouse in a couple of years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Don! I really like how you jumped right into the rare and supposed hard to grow species. Your doing a great job at it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can say I have never seen such healthy indoor highland Nepenthes grown in southern CA. Excellent job, they are quite drool-worthy
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinjie View Post
    Very nice Don! I really like how you jumped right into the rare and supposed hard to grow species. Your doing a great job at it.
    Thanks, Kinjie. I didn't just jump right in though. I've been growing carnivorous plants and orchids like paphs, phrags, and phals for a while. I had to get rid of all of my plants when I moved. Now that I'm limited in grow space, I'm focusing on the slower growing and more difficult to acquire plants first. Once they grow out and I have a new greenhouse built, I'll build my collection back up with every species and primary hybrid I can get my hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I can say I have never seen such healthy indoor highland Nepenthes grown in southern CA. Excellent job, they are quite drool-worthy
    Thanks, Dexenthes. Once it's set up properly and dialed in, all I do is fill up the humidifier and water/feed the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah gotcha! cant wait to see what the future holds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123