What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

noob photo lighting question....

I am getting some studio lights, stands, softboxes, umbrella etc etc for christmas...

Anyways, getting anxious and already reading about using an exposure target to set exposure with histograms . Then using that target image to set my custom white balanace

I have this target:
429982.jpg

My question,
Will the camera's metering mode matter?

I know if possible I should fill the image with the target, but do i use spot metering, evaluative, etc or does it even matter in manual mode with respect to the histogram?

Also, since Im using a hotshoe adapter for the sync cord connection.... do I need to do anything special with the camera's flash settings? (my xsi manual says it will sync up to 1/200 with non-canon ex flashes, so assuming im limited to that)

confused in kentucky... :)

Camera: Canon XSi/450D
Light kit: Impact EX100 Kit

Promotional video (smaller kit)

weeeeeeeeeee.... new toys!

Thanks in advance,
Av

Last edited:
Good question. I usually fill the frame with the grey when I get the custom reading. Can your camera use matrix metering? Might work for taking the whole thing better. Dunno about the flash.

Well to get the three spikes, I assume i want all three bands in the image... I think i understand the concept but not sure about the specifics :p
If I understand it correctly, I dont want either spike to be clipped, with the high key spike to be around 95/100

not sure about the metering mode...or if it even matters..
and then clueless about the flash question.... the camera's manual doesnt go into it

A local accounting firm has asked that I take their member's webpage profile pics after the holidays (omg lol)

Wow! You dont sound like a noob. I dont have a clue what youre talking about so whos really clueless in KY?

Hi "Confused in Kentucky," I'd think that spot-metering would also do the trick, especially with the new generation of digital cameras. I cannot recall the last time my Sekonic light meter left the desk drawer . . .

Spot meter on the gray portion or do as Mach says and fill the viewfinder with the gray portion. You should take a photo of the entire target filling the viewfinder at the setting determined above so you can check the white balance later. Or at least include the entire target in some shots with lighting you will be using so you can get the grey/white/black corrected in post processing.

Didn't it come with instructions :) ?

LOL, one of the first disclaimers.... "there are over 100 dslr models, we cant go into individual settings...."
but they do say shoot the entire target, they just dont mention what to do about metering settings or even if I should worry about those

instructions?.... meh LOL

dionae, dont let me baffle ya with BS.... me pretty much lost
David, thanks my friend.... I also assumed spot on the gray... that seemed the most logical

Last edited:
in watching the videos I can see why they are doing the entire target black, grey and white. trying to ensure that the highlights and shadows actually dont get wiped out. can use for setting the custom and to save pic to use to set light balance in light room or even re set from cam later...

yep, seems so easy in the videos LOLOL

everyone grab your camera and come on over, ill find some pretty little celtic lass with red hair and green eyes....

Ok, reviewing one of the videos about the target for the digital age (forget us film era dinosaurs): You want to take an exposure of the entire target filling the viewfinder in manual mode. The histogram should have three peaks of the same magnitude with the grey peak towards the center of the histogram.

It probably doesn't matter matrix vs center-weighted as the goal of meter is to average out the entire scene to 18% grey. Matrix metering is mainly so the camera can figure out what type of scene it is - backlit, frontlit against dark background, mostly highlights, faces etc. and apply compensation. It might not matter in manual mode but testing between center weighted and matrix to see if there is a difference would be wise.

then depending on where the highlights are in the histogram. make adjustments to the shutter speed because I am assuming maintaining a certain aperture will take priority to ensure the happy circles in background..

yep yep..... my thoughts exactly

Back