User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noob photo lighting question....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

noob photo lighting question....

I am getting some studio lights, stands, softboxes, umbrella etc etc for christmas...

Anyways, getting anxious and already reading about using an exposure target to set exposure with histograms . Then using that target image to set my custom white balanace

I have this target:

My question,
    Will the camera's metering mode matter?

I know if possible I should fill the image with the target, but do i use spot metering, evaluative, etc or does it even matter in manual mode with respect to the histogram?

Also, since Im using a hotshoe adapter for the sync cord connection.... do I need to do anything special with the camera's flash settings? (my xsi manual says it will sync up to 1/200 with non-canon ex flashes, so assuming im limited to that)

confused in kentucky...

Camera: Canon XSi/450D
    Light kit: Impact EX100 Kit

Promotional video (smaller kit)

weeeeeeeeeee.... new toys!

Thanks in advance,
    Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 12-21-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. I usually fill the frame with the grey when I get the custom reading. Can your camera use matrix metering? Might work for taking the whole thing better. Dunno about the flash.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to get the three spikes, I assume i want all three bands in the image... I think i understand the concept but not sure about the specifics :P
    If I understand it correctly, I dont want either spike to be clipped, with the high key spike to be around 95/100

not sure about the metering mode...or if it even matters..
    and then clueless about the flash question.... the camera's manual doesnt go into it

A local accounting firm has asked that I take their member's webpage profile pics after the holidays (omg lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! You dont sound like a noob. I dont have a clue what youre talking about so whos really clueless in KY?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi "Confused in Kentucky," I'd think that spot-metering would also do the trick, especially with the new generation of digital cameras. I cannot recall the last time my Sekonic light meter left the desk drawer . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot meter on the gray portion or do as Mach says and fill the viewfinder with the gray portion. You should take a photo of the entire target filling the viewfinder at the setting determined above so you can check the white balance later. Or at least include the entire target in some shots with lighting you will be using so you can get the grey/white/black corrected in post processing.

Didn't it come with instructions ?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, one of the first disclaimers.... "there are over 100 dslr models, we cant go into individual settings...."
    but they do say shoot the entire target, they just dont mention what to do about metering settings or even if I should worry about those

instructions?.... meh LOL

dionae, dont let me baffle ya with BS.... me pretty much lost
    David, thanks my friend.... I also assumed spot on the gray... that seemed the most logical
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 12-21-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in watching the videos I can see why they are doing the entire target black, grey and white. trying to ensure that the highlights and shadows actually dont get wiped out. can use for setting the custom and to save pic to use to set light balance in light room or even re set from cam later...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast