What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cinamon and it's duties? Is it harmful to utrics?

Does cinnamon really work as a fungicide? If it does, would it hurt utricularias?
Thanks People!:awesome:

It doesn't work, its a myth, it has been debunked many times.
I tested it myself personally one winter, used fresh cinnamon..
it does nothing.

Scot

Hmm, I've always had good luck with cinnamon. When I use it, I don't get mold or fungus. When I don't use it, the mold is so thick the seeds can't be seen. I've used it many times when stratifying seeds in the fridge. It's guaranteed to mold if I don't use anything. I prefer cinnamon over a fungicide...especially in the fridge with food. I've recently used it sprinkled on some Nepenthes seeds, so far so good. Perhaps this goes back to what works for one in one's conditions might not work for another. It's cheap, and I'd say it's worth a try.

JMN16150 to answer your question, it will not harm your Utrics.

The role of Cinnamon as a fungicide is highly exaggerated. If you want a reliable, effective suppressor of fungal pathogens, use a real fungicide, like one of the azole family of fungicides. They are very effective and are low-hazard chemicals in terms of handling precautions and environmental impact. It cannot be overstated: read and follow the directions!

Been a while, but I thought I read somewhere that the antifungal/bacteria properties of cinnamon are not actually due to the cinnamon itself, but rather the preservatives with which cin. is treated.

fireplace-smiley-emoticon_zpsb9e1dae8.gif

Thanks guys! I asked this because there are tiny white mushrooms popping up all over the place in one pot with my u. longifolia, no harm done to the longifolia. I don't want to repot it because of its bladders or stolons might be damaged:) (Utrics are hard to come by):/

Yay! Earth didn't end:D

Yay! Earth didn't end

It wasn't supposed to. It was just the end of one of their cycles and a new one began.

I don't really have a dog in this discussion, and of course what works for one may not work for another, yada yada yada.....
but I've known Crissy long enough to know if she personally uses it and believes in it.... there must be something to it, at least in her application.

Thanks!
It wasn't supposed to. It was just the end of one of their cycles and a new one began.
I feel:oops: ...

I don't really have a dog in this discussion, and of course what works for one may not work for another, yada yada yada.....
but I've known Crissy long enough to know if she personally uses it and believes in it.... there must be something to it, at least in her application.

Agreed, and I use it on cut leaves of all of my plants, plus I dust the roots when root trimming.

Back