Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Experiment Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experiment Question

Hello!

So I'm doing an independent research project regarding how the amount of sundew leaf movement is effected by different concentrations of chitin in a solution. I'm taking pictures of tested leaves and finding the angle at which the leaf blade curled as a reaction. I ran the first test today, and placed on the leaves drops of 10% solution (this is by mass, it's completely saturated). The leaves are already almost completely curled over, 180 degrees. It's been about an hour and half, and originally I was going to wait six hours. Do think I should have every solution run for two hours? I don't know if this will even be enough time for the lower concentrations (down to a 0.1% solution).

Thanks,
    Drew

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whatever you do, be consistant... if you shorten the time limit then some trials dont react as fast?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm worried about. I'm considering just taking measurements at both intervals, and then going out of order and testing the weakest concentration next to see what works. I mean, it will certainly help my hypothesis if the highest concentration is curled to the maximum. However, I don't know if in six hours all of them will do that. And as the reverse it's not good if nothing happens in two hours for the lowest concentrations. Maybe I just take the median 4 hours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it's perfectly fine to have a longer interval for the weaker solutions and a shorter interval for stronger solutions. The picture of a curled leaf isn't the "results" of your experiment, the degree of leaf curl, speed of movement, and reaction time are; make sure you are collecting data on these types of variables. if a strong solution causes the maximum result in a very short time and a weak solution never gives the same result those are great observations that can yield valid conclusions about plant behavior. i would say to make sure you have enough intermediate solutions to be able to show leaf response to varying gradients of chitin conc. and a control with no chitin.