Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Import permit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Import permit

From what I am reading it looks like I need a PPQ 587 to import four or five Nepenthes to the United States, is this correct? I am at the USDA site ready to file for the permit but want to check beforehand. I won't be ordering until mid-March so if the permit will expire by then I will just wait.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need the PPQ 587 for "lots" over 12 or for small seed lots. Lots in the agricultural sense is a uniform unit of measure (e.g. bushels, pecks, etc.) So five or six plants do not require PPQ 587. It would be a lot easier if you get the permit though as it will give you a mailing label for the vendor to place on the shipment and will expedite proper routing for customs and quarantine inspection.

You need a Phytosanitary Certificate from the vendor and possibly a CITES import permit ($70.00). Cost of the Phytosanitary certificate depends on the issuing country - from $20-200 US. Some require a certificate for each taxa. Shipments have to be sent to one of the Inspection centers where it will be forwarded to you.

See http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-36.pdf and this thread. If you still have questions contact APHIS, I've listed contact information in the above thread.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say it's the same everywhere or for everyone, but get ready to hunker down for the longhaul. At least a month. I applied for a small lot seed permit several weeks ago, and have heard nothing so far. I was told the average is about a month, or at least a month. Actually I think I was told different things by different offices. If you do the online thing after getting level 2 certification, ignore the part where it says attachments. It won't let you attach anything and one fellow told me it was not supposed to be there anyway. One gal in one office actually told me that they did not know what they were doing with a laugh, and not to tell anyone. So consider that a secret.:") To the plus much of it is free, and I was told that if something is wrong, they will contact you and let you know instead of rejecting the application out of hand. Once you submit an online app. you get a confirmation that they have received it. My understanding is the small seed permit lasts for three years, not sure about the others. So good to have it and get it in place well in advance of ordering. Good luck and have patience.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don't forget to log on the the e-authentication site or applicable site every 100 days or so, as after 140 days you will have to get re-certified.
    Last edited by pearldiver; 01-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Somewhere on a USDA page is a link to check status of your application(s). When I go to that I get something like application pending. It would be kinda nice if it said something like, "Still in the que." Or "Sam received it, Barbara thumbed her nose at it, and and Fred said What a Bozo." Or anything, really.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get the level 2 access and fill out the applications it usually takes 11-15 working days to be approved and receive you paperwork in the mail.

Note you can still apply the old fashion way by FAX or snail mail. No level 2 access is required however it does take at least 30 days for application and paperwork to get approved and sent to you. Same for any changes you may need to make. You will not have online access though of your permits.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 11 to 15 working days may be the thing in my case, as I applied in early-mid December, and the holidays surely stretched that out some.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast