Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Question

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n bicalcarata View Post
    Not a Number i think you mean >= 32 which means less than or equal to 32 degrees the other way is a comman misconception but means greater than or equal to
    i asked a algebra teacher to make sure
    You must not be familiar with Boolean operators used in computer programming languages. Simply read as "tempertures less than or equal to 32F.

In computerese (given altitude is sea level):
    Code:

If Temp <= 32
        result = "It's freezing outside"
    Else
        result = "It might be cold, nice or hot outside but it's not freezing"
    EndIf
    So if Temp is -5,10 or 32 the result would be "It's freezing outside"
    If Temp is 33, 72, or 110 the result would be "It might be cold, nice or hot outside but it's not freezing"
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all very good advice.....based off what i have read...."misfire" points to the ignition system.....does it misfire almost immediately or after you have driven a few minutes? lowest part of the ignition system is usually the crank position sensor(s) which usually tell the computer where your cylinders are/when to fire spark. over time these sensor housings can crack and will cause ignition system hiccups however generally the weather doesn't play a factor in their malfunction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks heli
    nan is that a joke or some coocoo head thing

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pebes View Post
    what kind of car is it?
    2002 Chevy Prizm

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpbobby View Post
    all very good advice.....based off what i have read...."misfire" points to the ignition system.....does it misfire almost immediately or after you have driven a few minutes? lowest part of the ignition system is usually the crank position sensor(s) which usually tell the computer where your cylinders are/when to fire spark. over time these sensor housings can crack and will cause ignition system hiccups however generally the weather doesn't play a factor in their malfunction.
    Car is warmed up and highway driving speed (> 50 MPH)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AshG2385 View Post
    I still have an 84 Dodge pickup, just like that, lol. Not that I drive it, with it's epic 8 MPG fuel efficiency...I drive a GMC Yukon XL SLT that gets 14 MPG instead.
    With 4 catalytic converters the thing is worth more in scrap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I'm leaning to getting a tuneup. I've done the Autotune code thing before. That was disappointing. Engine light was on. Turned out to be bad sensors.. attached to the expensive cannister!
    I have a 1999 Chevy S10 pickup..the "Check engine light" comes on and off randomly, all by itself..
    it will come on, then the computer runs through its cycle, determines nothing is wrong, and the light turns back off..
    I have had it checked multiple times, had a few things replaced..I have given up.
    I am convinced it is the *light itself* that is defective! the computer..
    there is nothing actually wrong with the mechanicals of the truck.

Unfortunately though in NY state your car wont pass inspection if the light is on!
    it makes no difference why it is on..Light on = no pass inspection, period.
    I think its a scam..I call it the "pay us money for no reason" light..
    Now every year when I get the truck inspected, if the light is on, I just wait a few days until it turns back off by itself..
    this has been going on for 5 years..

(disclaimer..of course *most of the time* the lights do work properly! and they do actually mean something is wrong! and it should be checked out..but I believe I have a situation where the light itself is defective..I have no other reasonable explanation.)

Scot
    Last edited by scottychaos; 01-01-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine doesn't have that much in the way of emissions. It's registered in Arizona in a county that doesn't require them, so it has dual glass packs.
    Also, not worth more in scrap considering the engine is new, the transmission has like 300 miles on it, it's been lifted and has super swamper tires on it XD It was my very first vehicle so I have a little sentimental value in it.

Scotty, I feel your pain there. The Explorer's check engine light was a mystery too, it kept going on and off. I actually reset the light (since it takes a few minutes to come back on) to pass inspection on it. I replaced all the O2 sensors and had all 4 catalytic converters checked on it and it still kept coming on. It ended up being that one of the O2 sensors was defective, a brand new one, and the reason for the fluctuations was it would turn on when the air/fuel ratio would fluctuate. It was truly frustrating. I'm glad to be rid of that truck.
    USDA Zone 4b
    My Grow List
    There are only 01 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast